"Safe n Sound" vs. 703

corban

So I've heard Roxul Safe n Sound recommended as having similar acoustic properties to the 703 panels. I've found these specs, sorry, this thing screws up the formatting:

Co-efficients at frequencies
125Hz 250Hz 500Hz 1000Hz 2000Hz 4000Hz NRC
0.52 0.96 1.18 1.07 1.05 1.05 1.05 ------- Safe n Sound
0.17 0.86 1.14 1.07 1.02 0.98 1.00 ------- 703

Density
S'n'S 2.5 lbs/ft3
703 3 lbs/ft3

Other information here: http://www1.roxul.com/graphics/RX-NA/Canada/products/safeandsound/ss_tech.pdf

This stuff is much cheaper. Anybody know anything about these, or can read these specs well enough to tell me what to expect? Any info appreciated.

:) Cheers

Hey corban,

I've had good luck using the Roxul Safe n Sound as an OC 703 replacement. Since the specs are quite identical, I think you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference acoustically between the two.

The main difference as far as I can tell is the actual rigid strength of the panel. The Roxul panel is mineral wool, while the OC 703 is rigid fiberglass. I found an Ottawa Fibres product available in Canada (OF-48 I believe) which is quite rigid and I prefer to the Safe n Sound.

That said, you should be fine with the Roxul.

Milkman

I've noticed that Rockwool tends to measure a lot better in the lower end. Look at the 125Hz readings. The rockwool is way superior there, according to the measurements.
Even though the density is lower.
This seems a little weird to me; perhaps the measurements were not taken the same way.

In any case, I treated my studio using Roxul exclusively and it absorbs like a bitch. If you talk into a panel of it, your voice just dissapears at the tip of your noise.
Really helped make a terrible-sounding room (I really mean terrible) into quite a good-sounding room!
The price is definitely right, too. Even if for some reason it was less effective than 703, you could probably afford twice as much material anyway, more than making up for any deficiencies.
I got a box of 703 just for good measure to compare, and didn't like it as much. It was very "dry" feeling, very rigid but less strong - it tended to crumble apart in my hands, whereas the Roxul would just flex.

It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure I got the Roxul locally for around $25 CDN a bag (16 sheets of 1" thick or 8 sheets of 2" thick, 2'x4').

First of all the Safe and Sound specs you provided are for:

1. Batt insulation - not board like 703
2. 3" thickness where the specs for the 703 were for 1"

For an apples to apples spec comparison, 703 3" are:
.53 1.19 1.21 1.08 1.01 1.04 1.01

Almost identical.

Yes, the rockwool will be cheaper in some markets. It's kind of nasty to work with but does a good job. Performance wise, it's about a wash between it and rigid fiberglass.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm assuming when rockwool is mentioned you're referring to the Roxul product, which is mineral wool. For all I know that's the same thing.

Now, I just came across this:
ROXUL HAS TWO IDENTICAL PRODUCTS IN DIFFERENT BAGS!!! SAFE AND SOUND IS THE SAME AS FLEXBATT BUT COSTS MORE!!! This info came direct from a Roxul employee. The difference is some kind of fire insurance plan that Safe and Sound carries when used on an ENTIRE house.
from http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=1550836#post1550836

I'm gonna give Roxul a call to check on this, I'll let you know what I find out. Any knowledge on it?

Sorry for being dense, but I'm assuming when you get a bag of this, you use the whole thing for one panel. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey Bleyrad, where are you in Vancouver, and where'd you get the Roxul?

corban said:
Hey Bleyrad, where are you in Vancouver, and where'd you get the Roxul?

I live in South Surrey, but my studio is in Delta.
I got my Roxul at Burnaby Insulation. I bought a lot of it several years ago; they gave me a great price.
The stuff I got wasn't called Safe'n'Sound. I forget what it was... I think it was the second-highest density they make though.

treymonfauntre said:
a bag contains 8 sheets of 2 inch thick 2 feet wide by 4 feet tall material? thats 8 panels.
Wow, you just repeated what I posted. Sorry, but your point (if you have one) has escaped me.

oh this is dumb, he asked a question that i guess you didn't see. and then i saw the red user icons and assumed you were the same person.

Ah ok.
Well, depends how big "one panel" is though.
I thought the typical size for building an absorbant panel was 2x8'.
So, if building floor-to-ceiling like this, and you want 2" thick absorbant, you'd get 4 absorbers total out of each bag.

For reflection points, one normally constructs panels of 2'x4' since that is the stock size of the material and also allows you to better spread it through the space.

For bass absorbtion, you generally need more surface area as it is the area that the rest of the room provides the least amount of help. Also, for bass absorbtion, you'll want a minimum of 3" thickness, 4-6" is better.

It was me who posted that about flexi batt and safe and sound.

I should probably point out that safe and sound is NOT rigid, what you want as a 703 substitute is roxul RHF or RHT.

Cheers

Roxul says the flexibatt is considerably less dense, so I'm ruling that out. I've got bags to put the insulation in, does it matter that the safe n sound is not rigid?

Not really - just easier to deal with and you need less depth with more dense material.

To compensate for less density, simply make them thicker to assist them in going down deeper.

Back