Routing to Console

In my first studio, I did have everything going to the patchbay. For the same reason, I wanted to be able to patch anything to anything else.

However, after a few years, I realized that there was never any reason to send snake channel 7 to channel 23 on the mixer...ever. so I just plugged the snake into the mixer channels and if I wanted a Mic plugged into channel 23 on the mixer, I plugged it into channel 23 on the snake.

I used the extra channels on the snake to feed my outboard preamps. Again, I would select the preamp by plugging the Mic into the appropriate channel of the snake.

I had all the line inputs of the mixer going to a patchbay, as well as the outputs of the outboard preamps. That way, i could assign any preamp to any channel.

The rest of the patchbay was the inserts, compression, outboard effects returns (the inputs of the effects were hard wired to the aux sends, since I had more sends than effects units)

The tape machine returns were hard wired to the tape returns on the mixer because, again, there was no compelling reason to bring tape track 5 into mixer channel 8.

Yes, you can use normalling to kelp from having to patch every single thing, every single time, but it's a waste of time, money and cables to set up for a scenario that never happens.

However, after a few years, I realized that there was never any reason to send snake channel 7 to channel 23 on the mixer...ever.

Right...at some point you may find a specific workflow that you only want to use...and then it makes sense to adjust, and even rewire for that.

For me, the choices between tape deck and interface...ITB and OTB...or some hybrid combination...makes putting everything on the patchbay still the best option.
At some point I may end up with a more compact setup, and then I will adjust and rewire as needed. :)

Yep, though I can see some setups needing it, I so seldom need to re-patch XLR in the control room that it far easier to have the snakes routed directly to the console.

I have not had a problem with hums or buzzes from the balanced-unbalanced interfacing through the patch bay.

Glad you are sorted! Couple of points, mention was made of bringing inserts to a patch bay? If these are balanced fine but if of the single jack variety they are unbalanced and mixing balanced and unbalanced sources and destinations in a patch bay can be fraught, hum loops.

Note too that 'inserts' are generally at the mixer's internal level, very often -2dBu. Not a problem just be aware if you normally run a 'unity gain' setup.

You were also concerned about the effect of lots of cable and connectors on audio quality? Don't be. Naturally use quality connectors that fit properly and do not tarnish (a wipe with a rag moistened with WD-40 twice a year is no bad thing!) and if YOU are soldering stuff do a bang up job of it but 'cable is cable. Yes, some VERY cheap stuff will have poorer RF screening but unless you live in a primary transmitter field, not likely an issue. In fact the BEST balanced cable for 'static' setups is foil screened, light weight cable of about 4mm OD. Takes up less room and the foil gives 100% RF screening. Earth is via a bare drain wire..MUCH easier to strip and solder than a braid and no danger of 'whiskers'.

So long as the gear has adequately low output impedances, well under 1k Ohm, you should have no problems.

Dave.

Thanks. I always use quality cables and connectors.

At the moment it is the single insert on my current desk, i wasnt planning on sending this to a patchbay yet as im happy to just to repatch on mycurrent bays with the cables i have at the moment.

I'm having some niggles with my desk and want to upgrade and have been after a soundcraft 600/800/6000 etc. Though i just realised they dont have the extra line in input so i'm a bit stumped really and has put me back to square one with the desk upgrade.

I have a 32 ch with the first 16 snaked to live room with dedicated/unchanging mics(10 for drums, 1 for bass DI output, 1 for bass cab mic, 2 for acoustic guitar "tree", 2 for guitar cab mics. Channels 16-32 are all on patch bays along with various outboard and interface plus ins and outs from a separate 16 channel monitoring board. If you have something that just stays set up, I don't think I'd bother putting those mic ins on the patch bay but its just a workflow thing

I have a 32 ch with the first 16 snaked to live room with dedicated/unchanging mics(10 for drums, 1 for bass DI output, 1 for bass cab mic, 2 for acoustic guitar "tree", 2 for guitar cab mics. Channels 16-32 are all on patch bays along with various outboard and interface plus ins and outs from a separate 16 channel monitoring board. If you have something that just stays set up, I don't think I'd bother putting those mic ins on the patch bay but its just a workflow thing
I think ive got what i need now but ive just got a lead on a cheap soundcraft and i think i can swing it with the wife so i have to move fast.

It doesnt have both a mic and line in. Just mic, insert and line in/out. So if i was using line in/out to go to the recorder how could i have a line level in?

Back