Room Suggestions

gcapel

boom box recordings
Hi,

This is an existing room in our new house that is availble for me to dable in recording and mixing. I did fail to give dimensions.

I need some suggestions on weather or not to center the listening area with the room with monitors on the left wall or to use the top left corner as the center of the listening area?

Any advice too on how to treat it. I have a box of OC 703.

Attachments

• room.jpg
    room.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 46
Face the wall on the left, then follow this guide:

How to set up a room

The rest of my standard advice is as follows. All rooms need:

* Broadband (not tuned) bass traps straddling as many corners as you can manage, including the wall-ceiling corners. More bass traps on the rear wall behind helps even further. You simply cannot have too much bass trapping. Real bass trapping, that is - thin foam and thin fiberglass don't work to a low enough frequency.

* Mid/high frequency absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling.

* Some additional amount of mid/high absorption and/or diffusion on any large areas of bare parallel surfaces, such as opposing walls or the ceiling if the floor is reflective. Diffusion on the rear wall behind you is also useful in larger rooms.

For the complete story see my Acoustics FAQ.

There's a lot of additional non-sales technical information on my company's web site - articles, videos, test tones and other downloads, and much more.

--Ethan

Face the wall on the left, then follow this guide:

How to set up a room

The rest of my standard advice is as follows. All rooms need:

* Broadband (not tuned) bass traps straddling as many corners as you can manage, including the wall-ceiling corners. More bass traps on the rear wall behind helps even further. You simply cannot have too much bass trapping. Real bass trapping, that is - thin foam and thin fiberglass don't work to a low enough frequency.

* Mid/high frequency absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling.

* Some additional amount of mid/high absorption and/or diffusion on any large areas of bare parallel surfaces, such as opposing walls or the ceiling if the floor is reflective. Diffusion on the rear wall behind you is also useful in larger rooms.

For the complete story see my Acoustics FAQ.

There's a lot of additional non-sales technical information on my company's web site - articles, videos, test tones and other downloads, and much more.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan,

That will take care of most of it. On the bass traps, do you straddle the entire length of the corner. IF not center of the corner up and down?

Back