Room Set-Up Help Needed

royaltrux

I recently got a great deal on some KRK Rokit 8 speakers on Craigslist. I've never had reference monitors, so I decided it was time to get my room ready to really hear what these things can do. So, now I have a room that I want to turn into a listening/mixing room. Like most of us, it's nowhere near optimal, but I wanted to find out how I should proceed.

Here are all four sides of the room:
podcastrant.com/Images/studio/DSC00927.JPG
podcastrant.com/Images/studio/DSC00928.JPG
podcastrant.com/Images/studio/DSC00929.JPG
podcastrant.com/Images/studio/DSC00930.JPG

Here's a pic of the speakers on my desk:
podcastrant.com/Images/studio/DSC00931.JPG

Here's a diagram of the room w/ measurements:
podcastrant.com/Images/studio/Untitled.gif

Sorry guys, I don't have enough posts to post URLs.

The drawing is not to scale and the dots are an approximation of where I should listen based on the 38% rule. The floor is a concrete pad covered with that thin industrial carpeting. The drop ceiling is comprised of Armstrong Construction Acoustical ceiling panels. Unfortunately, there's a recessed florescent fixture in the middle of the room. It has a diamond-embossed textured lens cover. I can remove this light system, put a panel in it's place and use ambient lighting if needed.

So here are my questions:

Due to the fact that, following the 38% rule, the back of my desk would hit the bookshelf, it seems like the wall w/ the bookshelf would be best behind me to act as a absorber/diffuser. Is this correct?

If I follow the 38% rule, then the back of my desk, where my monitor is, will be 4-6" from the wall. The desk slants from that back point, so the speakers, if they stay on the desk will be a few more inches away. So, I would be sitting, approximately, 43" from the wall, while the speaker cone would be 29-30" inches away from the back of my head. This leads to another question; I read that 8's are heading into mid-field territory and that 6's were the standard near-field units. I got a great deal on these 8's, but are they going to be too close to me? I could fit some stands behind the desk to get some more space but not much. Based on my room, should I try to sell these and get some 6's?

Center of woofer to ceiling is 3'-7" while the center to the floor is 3'-5". Is this going to be a problem; or is that 2" enough away from center?

I understand the early reflector panels to the right and left, but what would go in front; especially since I have this door in the way?

I know I'm probably leaving essential info for you guys to help me; so just ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks for any help.

Chad

Attachments

• DSC00927.JPG
    DSC00927.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 31
Hi! I can think of two possible solutions:
I'm not sure if the bookshelf will fit to the other side of the room... you have to measure.;)
Untitled.png

i'd go with version 2 and then you could still make corner treatments which can be moved when accessing the closet (or if the closet isn't needed then turn it into a LF trap.

Back