Room Questions - New Attic Studio

lank81

Hi Guys,

So my 2nd little one came along in October, so about a year ago I tore down the extra bedroom studio and totally remodeled it (down to studs) for him. It's a guitar forest, gotta love it. Anyways, going to work on making my attic the studio now.

Right now it's bare walls - R-19 Insulation, some walls have 1 ft of space between it and the roof and other parts 2 ft. Instead of drywalling this room I was wondering if it'd be ok just to use fabric to cover the studs. Then I'd just put acoustic treatment as needed as if I were putting it up against normal dry wall. Has anyone done this before?

The flooring is 1/2" wood planks, 3/4" ply, and I'm going to be putting down foam and a floating laminate hard wood floor this month.

Room size - 22x22 with 12' Cathedral-esque ceilings

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Right now it's bare walls - R-19 Insulation, some walls have 1 ft of space between it and the roof and other parts 2 ft. Instead of drywalling this room I was wondering if it'd be ok just to use fabric to cover the studs. Then I'd just put acoustic treatment as needed as if I were putting it up against normal dry wall.
I think it would be very nice for the room because a lot of the sound energy will escape and you won't have near the problems with reflections that you would in a "hard" room. What energy does reflect from the exterior wall will hit the absorption material going both ways so you get double duty out of your material. (I assume you are insulating between the studs?)

If there is a drawback it would be that the escaping sound will transfer to the outside world. Depending how loud you are in there - drum kit, Marshall stack? - nearby neighbors may have an issue.

What energy does reflect from the exterior wall will hit the absorption material going both ways so you get double duty out of your material.
ummm, unless I'm misinterpreting this, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that how resistance absorbers NORMALLY work? ie....partial absorption through, boundary reflection, partial absorption back through...you know..1/4 wavelength stuff notwithstanding.

ummm, unless I'm misinterpreting this, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that how resistance absorbers NORMALLY work? ie....partial absorption through, boundary reflection, partial absorption back through...you know..1/4 wavelength stuff notwithstanding.
Izzat you, Fitz? Long time. I'm picturing a dormer type loft area where to build in you will leave dead space between the interior and exterior walls on the order of four feet or more. I could have this picture wrong. Seems like the perfect situation to avoid sheetrock on the interior wall and pass more energy thru. Ya' dig?

Back