Room Help II - floorplan attached

blackscot

Bass-Trap Needs (incl floorplan)

Made an earlier post for help with my space and got good feed back at:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=200662

Based on that, I'm now fabricating some el-cheapo rigid-fiberglass portable/removable panels to put in the corners as bass traps. Also re-arranged the room to get the workstation better centered (see attached floorplan).

There's a few other furniture items in the room that I didn't bother to draw in, but with the current layout, I've now got the two big corners behind the workstation fairly opened up and can fit a 3-foot wide panel in each.

You can see though that the two far corners are narrower. By the door is limited to 2 feet, so I'll need to make that panel less wide, but it should still be OK. Between the closet and window, however, is only 18 inches.

Because of various (ahem....) domestic issues, I can't really plan on permanently blocking the window and closet with anything. How critical is trapping this corner? Is it worth the hassle of placing and removing the panel there before and after each session, or can I just leave it empty? How about just opening the closet (which is full of heavy garment-storage bags)?

Also notice the in-beween corner created by the jog-out next to the closet. Do I need to get a bass trap in there too?

Any other observations/recommendations greatly appreciated - thanks!!!

Attachments

• FLOORPLAN.pdf
    3.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Reactions: apl
Opening the closet, if it's full of clothes will add a lot of bass absorption. Consider simply putting a couple of stacks of rolls of pink insulation in that alcove.

apl said:
.....Consider simply putting a couple of stacks of rolls of pink insulation in that alcove.

That was one of the tips showing up in my first post, but that my wife has since indicated as being a non-option. As it is, I'll probably have to cover the rigid stuff with some kind of pastel-colored fabric. As long as it has the desired acoustic effect though.

Would she let you put one of these in front of it? That'll give you some nice diffusion.

SSCWP_1.jpg

Hey, that's some nice stuff, and decent prices too!

Actually, an old dresser for storing her off-season clothes partly occupies the jog-out at present, in the corner toward the closet, so only the upper half of the wall section there is exposed.

At this point I'm thinking of just a rigid panel in the corner toward the door and one in each corner by the workstation, plus having the closet open while doing any critical listening. Can always add more panels or whatever later if needed. Not sure how much any mid-wall treatment may help, but got the impression from the earlier post that the corners are the biggest priority.

blackscot said:
Actually, an old dresser for storing her off-season clothes partly occupies the jog-out at present...

Open the drawers random amounts for more diffusion and absorption.

Cool.

Going to try to get the panels built this weekend. I'll try to post some pics once everything is in-place. It'll be the most lo-tech, bare-bones stuido on the board, but as long as it does what I need.

Back