Room is gonna kill me help.

dr17

Ok here we go again. I am in a 13.5 x 11.3 room with an 9 foot ceiling. I upped the carpet and went with a floating wood floor. I then added 5# 2x4 ceiling traps and 2# extra 6" bass traps on the front wall thinking this would tighten up my sweet spot. Also side walls are treated equally on both sides. Amost 2/3 of room is treated up front. Now I did build a diffuser that I put on back center wall which reflects too much in the room since it is only 7ft from my chair to back wall. Bummer.
So I am thinking about adding 2 bass traps on center of back wall. I had 4 on the back wall not including corner traps but my ears were so sucked out and fatigued they had to go.
My speakers currently sound a bit mid bass heavy. And honky on some bass notes. Does adding 2 traps on the center wall sound correct. This room is gonna kill me!!
Thank you
Sorry pictures ended up side ways and wouldn't let me fix.small.jpgsmaller 2.jpgsmaller3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 19
  • studio.jpg
    studio.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Ah, I see you have a cat on the couch!

THAT'S whats gonna kill you, or at least make you insane. Not the room.:D

Sorry, just an attempt at levity. At least I bumped your thread. Lol.?

How do you know your speakers sound mid-bass heavy? Is this by playing reference tracks? By taking your mixes and playing them on other systems? It looks like your speakers are inside an enclosed shelf - if so, get them out, that's only going to screw up the bass response.
I'm sure I mentioned that the room was too small for a diffusor, but that could have been to someone else with a small room.

Can you lift those corner traps up so they fill the top corner rather than the bottom corner?

dr17 -

..... back center wall which reflects too much in the room since it is only 7ft from my chair to back wall.

So you're sitting practically at 50% of the length of your room.

The 38% rule would put your ears at 8'4" from rear wall. Accounting for chair thickness, etc. would put your chair at approx. 8' from rear wall.
You think it's possible your problems are happening becuase of your "practically 50%" listening position? Unlikely to be this simple, but something to consider...

And also, have you treated all the early reflection points?

The left hand monitor at least seem barely a foot from the corner? Pull it out another foot at least. Then, the monitors seem rather far from the seating position? Midfields rather than nearfield? That is going to give you more 'room' than is good for you.

You can generate tones of any audio frequency in most DAWs, certainly Audacity, so make a CD of 100Hz and down in 10 Hz steps

Lastly, I bet there is loads of 'dead space' behind that sofa? Stuff some bags of rockwool or GF in there.

Dave.

Back