room dimensions and other things.?`

sbendy

I am building a room for recording (and maybe post production) in a warehouse with a concrete floor, I have some leeway with dimensions and am planning on sound proofing, and then acoustically treating once the room is more or less done.
The dimensions I am considering are 337cm in width, 442cm in length and 250cm in height.
The sound proofing method will be (from outside to in) plasterboard, stud wall with insulation, resilient clips and plasterboard again. I will give the door more thought in the coming days.
Are the dimensions sufficient? And should any of these walls be angled?
And should there be another layer of plasterboard on the other side of the stud wall before clips?

Hopefully a mod will move this thread to the 'Studio Building' section of the forum.

Assume you are trying to make this room really 'soundproof', you are going to need to build it on a floating subfloor, too, and will need a ceiling system using some type of isolation pads.
What are you planning on recording and mixing? That's a fairly small room to go to all that soundproofing route.

Isn't that where I posted it?

Ok, I am looking into the floating floor.

Would it work to use the same method for the ceiling as for the floor (taking into account the difference in load bearing requirements)?

Recording-wise, vocals, electric guitar, various other bits and pieces and sound effects, occasionally horns, and very occasionally, multiple musicians or drums, but not often.
Mixing-wise, same again, but with a lot more synth and midi based stuff.

Is there a particular dimension that could be changed to improve the size?
I can't go above 4m by 4.5m on the perimeter wall. Though, if I had some leeway there, what would be recommended?

There are some preferred ratios for the room dimensions. Looking in "Build It Like the Pros", the first-best suggested by Sepmeyer and Louden are 1 x 1.14 x 1.39, and 1 x 1.40 x 1.90, respectively (HxWxL). These ratios are intended to minimize room modes, although for small rooms you're still gonna have to trap the crap out of it to smooth the low end.

Isn't that where I posted it?

Ok, I am looking into the floating floor.

Would it work to use the same method for the ceiling as for the floor (taking into account the difference in load bearing requirements)?

Recording-wise, vocals, electric guitar, various other bits and pieces and sound effects, occasionally horns, and very occasionally, multiple musicians or drums, but not often.
Mixing-wise, same again, but with a lot more synth and midi based stuff.

Is there a particular dimension that could be changed to improve the size?
I can't go above 4m by 4.5m on the perimeter wall. Though, if I had some leeway there, what would be recommended?

Looks like a mod moved your post, it was in the 'Primetime' section.

That's a small room (specially when you are done making your insulated walls). Like Tadpui says, you're going to have to trap the hell out of it.

Ok,
I'm going with Louden's 5th best, which is 1 1:2 1:5 (440cm length, 293cm width, 352cm height).
This checks out reasonably well on a room mode calculator with ascending Bonello scale, and the red cross in the Bolt zone (though in the narrow tip of it).
Length ways, it gives from for just below a 40Hz half wave, and at will have room in any direction for half waves just below 70Hz.
I guess it only has a little bit more volume than the previous, 45m3 approximately. Which is closeish to what seems to be the lowest studio volume I've seen discussed (50m3).
Does that sound like much of an improvement?
Also, on a whim, I applied my original ratio to my new width, coming up with this: 518 x 293 x 395.
This ratio is on the University of Salford's list of second best room ratios, brings the room volume to over 50m3, brings the lowest possible half wave to well below 40Hz, has a more fibonaciesque Bonello chart that the other (sort of looks smoother, though I had early on my research mistaken talk of golden ratios with talk of the golden mean), and the red cross is further up the side of the Bolt zone, closer to the fat bit but still on the edge.
Am I looking into the right things here?
And would I likely make up the cost of extra building materials in the second mentioned room by not having to spend as much on bass trapping, etc. as in the others?

I think at this point, I have considered, room dimensions and sized and their impact on standing waves and such, room volume and reverb time (slightly, but there enough I think), and need to consider acceptable volumes of sound in the above-mentioned rooms. Is there anything else I need to consider at the construction stage?
(I gather reflectivity of materials can be rectified at the acoustic treatment stage, right?)

Yeah, I do have height and width round the right way.
I hadn't seen any issues on the calculators or anything with swapping those fields around (understanding that those tools probably can't foresee everything though). But this is a good way to get more volume whilst staying more or less within the constraints I have to work in. What are the issues one will face with a room taller than its width?

Back