Is this Rockwool any good ?

MeltdownStudio

Hi all,

Back again, just about finished rebuilding my studio, thanks to everyone who helped me out in this thread - https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/studio-building-and-acoustic-treatment/time-take-next-level-go-pro-but-379479/4/#post4310897

Im onto treating the room now

I am trying to source some rockwool in my town but all i can find is this stuff

ROCKWOOL FLEXI®

Would that be anygood ?

or do i need to get RWA45 or RW3

My room size is 8'4" wide at the front (where my speakers will be going) and 7'8" wide at the back, then its 6'5" high at the front and 6'6" at the back and its 14'3" long,

So my room narrows by 6 inches from front to back and an inch in the height(it used to be an old shed but i have drywalled and insulated the walls and ceiling)

I want to build 4 basstraps left/right reflection points 2 clouds and 1 for the back wall i have a 32" TV going on the front wall so not sure how i would treat that, do i need more than that ?

Could anyone work out how much i would i would need to get, i was thinking 4 packs of 100mm 6'5" high is roughly 2000mm so divided by 100 is 20. So i would need to make 40 superchunks for each corner if im right, then just work out the panels.

Thanks for any feedback

Jay

Meltdown Studio

Just found a supplier here in Ireland that does RW3 is this the right stuff ?

https://buildwithme.ie/rockwool-prorox-rw3-60kg-x-100mm-1200-x-600-4-sheets-per-pack-2-88mtr-sq

How many superchunks would i cut from a sheet, would i need to use 2 side by side when stacking them up or would using 1 be ok ?

4 packs is coming to €150 and its €49 for delivery ( thats pritty expensive! ) its same price for the 50mm only you get 8 sheets in a pack

What size do you recomend i make my pannels for walls n ceiling ?

Thanks for any feedback

Jay

Meltdown Studio

For bass traps, what I have read on the board, the width and thickness of the rockwool, from top to bottom with some air in the back on all corners is a good start. Then find your reflection points and treat there as well.

Since I've not seen many post here, I will tell you what I have done. Treated four corners and put several 24"x48" on the wall (hanging like a picture). This does tame it pretty good. But for more detail treatment, hang tight while those who are more knowledgeable can answer. Meanwhile, you can do some research on the site and get a good idea as well.

For bass traps, what I have read on the board, the width and thickness of the rockwool, from top to bottom with some air in the back on all corners is a good start. Then find your reflection points and treat there as well.

Since I've not seen many post here, I will tell you what I have done. Treated four corners and put several 24"x48" on the wall (hanging like a picture). This does tame it pretty good. But for more detail treatment, hang tight while those who are more knowledgeable can answer. Meanwhile, you can do some research on the site and get a good idea as well.

Thanks for your feedback, going to order it tomorrow and see how everything goes i will post back soon as its done !

Jay

I think the price is pretty good for all that rockwool, I am using the exact same stuff for my ceiling cloud, I've yet to build some bass traps but hoping to soon like yourself.

I used 3" rock wool bats for my bass traps. I doubled them up to make 6" thick, built a nice wood frame for them, put some nice textile over the face to make them look presentable, and fastened them into all the corners.

Result was instant improvement. My room suffered badly from bass flutter, but after trapping my corners, problems went away.

Back