Rockwool 3 Thickness Whats the Difference

MeltdownStudio

Hi all,

I want to make

4 x Corner Bass Traps
2 x Ceiling Clouds
10 x 2x4 Absorbers ( for L/R refelection Points - Front/Back Wall - Side Walls )

But i have a lot of choice's as to what thickness i can get

50MM 1200 X 600 (8 SHEETS PER PACK) 5.76 MTR SQ - €37.37
100MM 1200 X 600 (4 SHEETS PER PACK) 2.88MTR SQ - €37.58
40MM 1200 X 600 (10 SHEETS PER PACK ) 7.2MTR SQ - €38.12
75MM 1200 X 600 (6 SHEETS PER PACK) 4.32MTR SQ - €40.64
30MM 1200 X 600 (15 SHEETS PER PACK) 10.8MTR SQ - €42.01

Nationwide Delivery - €49.20 ( Cant get it locally, so may pay that ridiculous postage price )

Could anyone help me out with my order, i am also trying to work out how much ill need ?

Here is a video of my studio if anyone would like to take a look at what i am trying to achieve

Thanks

Jay

Last edited:
You want to use at least 100mm thickness for bass traps (but that can be two 50mm sheets doubled up). Make sure you're getting the dense, stiff rockwool panels, not the thermal insulation.

You want to use at least 100mm thickness for bass traps (but that can be two 50mm sheets doubled up). Make sure you're getting the dense, stiff rockwool panels, not the thermal insulation.

Sorry for this confusion but when you say "BASS TRAPS" what do you mean by that ? As i taught Bass Traps are what go into the corners as Super Chunk Style Tri-angles filling the corners ?

Then a Broadband Absorber is what is use for the L/R refelection points and on the walls & ceiling ? ( 100mm thick 2x4 pannels that would hang onto the walls, then leave a 100mm gap behind each pannel )

This is where i am ordering the RW3 from https://buildwithme.ie/insulation/rockwool/rockwool-prorox-range/rw3-x-60kg-sl930

Now i have been told that this stuff here might be better

https://buildwithme.ie/uval-superglass-acoustic-20kg-m3-100mm-7-54mtr-sq

I am so confused by the whole DIY acoustic's, as i hear so many different terms going around, and been from Ireland it make's it a little more confusing with this been an US site.

Thanks

Jay

don't overlook diffusion too, especially on your back wall behind the speakers, you may end up with a very dead sounding space with your current plans

Bass traps are the common (slang) name for broadband absorbers - because if you are trapping/abosrbing the bass, you're also taking care of the higher frequencies at the same time.

The pictures at the first link you provided show the panels standing up on their own,that's a good sign of density. Neithe rsite had any technical info on sound absorption properties.

don't overlook diffusion too, especially on your back wall behind the speakers, you may end up with a very dead sounding space with your current plans

Thanks for your reply, i have concidered diffusion, but wasn't to sure where to use it.

So now i am thinking

4 x Corner Bass Traps
2 x Clouds
2 x Diffusers ( one on the front wall and back )
4 x Broadband Absorbers ( L/R reflection pionts and another 2 on the walls further down the room )

I will try DIY everything so would using 100mm RW3 do for making all the Traps ?

I have seen some videos on youtube about making your own Diffusers, would you recomend any to me as there is a few different ways of making them ? i have all the tools needed in my uncle's shed so thats not a problem plus he is very good when it comes to working with wood.

Thanks

Jay

Last edited:
Bass traps are the common (slang) name for broadband absorbers - because if you are trapping/abosrbing the bass, you're also taking care of the higher frequencies at the same time.

The pictures at the first link you provided show the panels standing up on their own,that's a good sign of density. Neithe rsite had any technical info on sound absorption properties.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Here is the link to rockwools site they have the technical info on there - ROCKWOOL RW Slab

I think thats the same stuff that i will be ordering for here https://buildwithme.ie/insulation/rockwool/rockwool-prorox-range/rw3-x-60kg-sl930

How large is your room? It's been mentioned here by the pro studio builders that diffusors dont' work with small(er) roooms.

That spec page you linked to does not give the nuumbers for 100mm thick, but looks like it is similar to Roxul, which is what I have.

Don't worry about diffusers. 99% chance you don't need them. Get your trapping right first. PROPER bass trapping does not make a room too dead, it simply controls your bass frequencies and eliminates nulls and peaks. Hopefully, you don't have carpeting. It's not the end of the world, but a hard floor (wood, cement, etc....) is ideal.

How large is your room? It's been mentioned here by the pro studio builders that diffusors dont' work with small(er) roooms.

That spec page you linked to does not give the nuumbers for 100mm thick, but looks like it is similar to Roxul, which is what I have.

Here is a video of my work so far

My Room size is 14' L x 8.6' W x 6.9' H - Now i do know that is a very small room with a low ceiling which is bad for acoustics, but i am determined to try get the best i can out of it.

Budget wize aint to much of a problem at the mo, so i want to try get this sorted as soon as i can before i spend my money on something stupid like sweets, cigs & beer lol

Well all i know about it is, its 60KG 100MM 1200 X 600 (4 SHEETS PER PACK) 2.88MTR SQ and as far as i taught Roxul & Rockwool were the same company.

My Yamaha HS8's arrived today too.

Thanks

Jay

Don't worry about diffusers. 99% chance you don't need them. Get your trapping right first. PROPER bass trapping does not make a room too dead, it simply controls your bass frequencies and eliminates nulls and peaks. Hopefully, you don't have carpeting. It's not the end of the world, but a hard floor (wood, cement, etc....) is ideal.

Hi RAMI, thanks for your reply, well i have posted a video in this thread of my studio set up, i dont have carpet, its a hardwood floor.

If you look at my video what would you recomend i do ?

I was thinking of making

4 x Corner Bass Traps
2 x Clouds
4 x Broadband Absorbers ( L/R reflection pionts and another 2 on the walls further down the room )

I was thinking about difusers on the front and back wall, but if it wont make any difference in my room i will forget about that, and use some more Broadband Absorbers there

Jay

Yeah, that's much too small a room to worry about diffusion panels. Have you read this excellent thread about small rooom acoustics?

Thanks for your reply, yes i just read that thread, very informative thank you.

So this is what i have come up with now

I am going to use the 100mm pannels to make superchunks to build my corner bass traps

Height roughly is 2000mm so 20 x 100mm superchunks x2 to make one corner bass trap ?

I seen a video of a guy cutting superchunks and he cut 4 out of a panel with a little bit remaining, so if i get 100mm pannels, i make that out to be 16 Superchunks out of one pack of 100mm(4sheets)

So if i stack them up ill only get 1600mm out of one pack, and in saying that do i need to stack up 2 lots of superchunks beside each other in one corner ?

If i have this right i am looking at 2 and a half packs of the 100mm(4sheets) per each corner ? Thats 10 packs of 100mm

If i use 50mm pannels for 100mm L/R reflection points and the Bass traps that will hang on the walls, i am thinking i will need 10 of these on the walls

So i make that out to be 20 pannels fo the walls and lets say i use 50mm thick for the clouds and make 3 2x4 panels for the ceiling thats 23 panels altogether

So if i buy
3 x 50MM 1200 X 600 (8 SHEETS PER PACK) 5.76 MTR SQ at €37.37 it would cost me €112.11
10 x 100MM 1200 X 600 (4 SHEETS PER PACK) 2.88MTR SQ at €37.58 it would cost me €375.80

So total cost would be €487.91 (plus €49.99 delivery €537.90)

Do you think that would be enough to treat my room or have i missed anything ?

Its a small room if i use 150mm plus 100mm gap behing it thats 250mm nearly 10 Inches of the walls which would just be to much i recon in my small room

I just bought a set of Yamaha HS8s do you think spending that much on treatment will be worth it ?

Thanks for any feedback

Jay

Last edited:
Back