Resilient Channel

mncheetah

A few questions about resilient channel and soundproofing...

I'm going to build a small studio in my basement.

1. My main concern is preventing sound going upstairs and outside from my basement. Will 2x4's along the concrete walls along with reisilent channel benefit me any way in regards to soundproofing?

2. My basement ceiling ductwork hang lower than the floor joists, so I think resilient channel is out of the question for the ceiling. My friend suggested square paneling. Will this be sufficient?

3. Where can you get resilient channel for a decent price? I called Home Depot and they said they don't carry it (I read another post where someone said they found it at Home Depot).

Any other comments \ suggestions strongly welcome...

The principle of the resilient channel is that when you have two surfaces connected via studs or floor joists the channel lifts one of the surfaces off the joists and studs so the sound is not transmitted through the stud/joist.....so...

If you make sure the studs don't touch the outer wall (1/2" is enough) there is no need for a channel, whereas in your ceiling if you use the channel you will get the benefit.

Why not box around your ductwork??

hope this helps

cheers
John

. Where can you get resilient channel for a decent price? I called Home Depot and they said they don't carry it (I read another post where someone said they found it at Home Depot).

I just saw it at Home Depot. It was in the sheetrock accessories area... Also, I don't think it was called Resilient Channel per se. I would suggest the next time your there to just take a look.

Cheers
Kevin.

Back