Rehearsal / recording room

Nbrookman

Hello, I'm in the planning stage of building a rehearsal room for my band, we will do some recording with it too. I'm going to build it in my pole barn which is 36x48 with about 10 ft to the bottom of the rafters. I was thinking around a 17x20 room but unsure of the ceiling height, should I utilize the 10ft? Should I use a sloped ceiling? And is that room size going to produce a good sound? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome, to the forum! That room size will probably be good, I dont think leaving the ceiling at 10 feet is a bad idea either. With proper treament, that room should sound pretty good. There are way more experienced guys on here than myself, however. Hopefully, a few of them will pipe up for you.

Thanks for the input! I was thinking about going 10ft with the ceiling and then building a few sound clouds, bass traps etc... I want it to have a good sound. We have struggled in the past with an even room mix, gets pretty frustrating!

I struggle with that everyday, limited budgets suck. I have a long way to go on my studio, but for a "hobbyist" songwriter it's working for now. Only other thing I just thought of, is that 17x20 is pretty close to square. For a rehearsal room, that might be ok, but if you are going to be mixing your recording in the same room, you may want it a little more rectangular. Again, maybe some of the Gurus on here can help more than I.

Back