Regarding sound-proofing

yeepiew

Hi guys, I'm gonna to extend my utility room and make it a recording studio.

The wall to be re-build will be brick with cement plastering, and I have a question here:

Will tiling the external wall improves sound-proofing of the wall?

As I have some balance of tiles since last renovation, so thinking of putting them on if that will make a difference. If not,I'll just save the trouble.

Hope some expert out there could give me some input.

Hi guys, I'm gonna to extend my utility room and make it a recording studio.

The wall to be re-build will be brick with cement plastering, and I have a question here:

Will tiling the external wall improves sound-proofing of the wall?

As I have some balance of tiles since last renovation, so thinking of putting them on if that will make a difference. If not,I'll just save the trouble.

Hope some expert out there could give me some input.

Maybe a tiny bit. I think it'll be much more trouble than it's worth so long as the exterior finish will be nice enough to live with.

Frank

I don't think the tile will help, mostly lower frequencies will pass through the cement, and the same for tile.

If you want to deaden it dramatically, you can fill the brick/block with sand as you build the wall.

You can also build a double wall with an airspace in between.

How much are you looking to spend, and how much noise reduction do you want?

Sound escaping through the ceiling/roof, any windows/ducts, and even vibrations through the floor are likely to be more problematic than your brick walls.

Thanks guys, thats very informative. :)

Btw do you guys think the choice of clay bricks or sand bricks will contribute to the acoustic of the room?

Btw do you guys think the choice of clay bricks or sand bricks will contribute to the acoustic of the room?

It'll be a slightly less even surface, and that definitely won't *hurt* but it won't add anything positive, at least not significantly.

Frank

If you're talking about keeping the sound from bleeding out to the neighbors, I don't think the type of brick will matter much. As to the sound inside the room, you should aim for deader if the room is small, so cover it with absorbers, etc. If the room is larger, you can be more reflective and go for a liver sound.

Back