Recording in a storage unit! Thoughts?

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
Please don't say "you're stupid, don't do it" or something along those lines...I don't have a choice in the matter. This recording is going to happen no matter what goes down.

As far as I know it's all drywall. Which to me just screams worst case scenario.

Anyone have any cheap alternatives for making this space even remotely usable? I'm thinking hanging blankets, possibly a mattress or two. Definitely isolate the drums and guitar as effectively as possible.

We'll be recording live. Guitar, drums, and DI Bass. Thinking of propping a blanket over the guitar amp. Good/bad idea?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give. You guys rock.

What kind of sound are you going for? While blankets and mattresses will absorb some high end flutter echo, there's going to be massive low end mud build up without a lot of bass trapping.

Lots of Gobos, make some if you have to, place some across the corners and put some sound deadener behind them. Through an old couch in there as well LOL.

I would also take some rugs, I know they only kill top end but there will be plenty of that, and also nicer to stand on then concrete.

And as said, what is the size of the place?

Alan.

It's possible to record in garden sheds/storage containers/untreated small rooms well (I've done it before - it definitely wasn't ideal), but you've got your work cut out.

Assuming you can't treat the space, then a good start is micing things a little closer than usual, avoiding figure8 or omni mics, and definitely taking a DI from all Bass/Guitars that aren't acoustic (if you aren't already) as well as micing them. Re-amp if the room sound is too bad or you can't make it work, or in a pinch use an amp sim.

Don't record live in a bad room unless you have no option.

Well, DI bass is a bonus. No vocal is a bonus. Your main clash will be bleed from guitar to drums and back again. Again, how big is the space (dimensions)? How much budget for some sort of treatment? How many mikes and what kinds/models...to mike how many drums? Lots of variables.

I think Alan has some relevant thoughts. Even if you can't afford good trapping, standing a couch in each corner will do SOME bass trapping. Blankets and pillows will do a LITTLE (as Mike said). Really, give the free stuff a shot and see what it does for the sound in the room. Def put down carpets. If there are ANY problems in the electrical you'll want that insulation.
If free is not going to cut it, grab a couple boxes of Roxul and some 1x4s and get to work building gobos. Gobos are your friends. Place them where you need them and take them with you when you leave. If you do a decent job of them, you might be able to sell them on Craig's List for a profit. :)

Alright, thanks for the replies!!

Now some answers for you guys-

Size of unit Haven't seen it yet, but I'd say it's probably about 10x15 (not sure on height...probably not a ceiling.

How much budget for some sort of treatment? Unfortunately little to none if possible.

How many mikes and what kinds/models...to mike how many drums?
For drums I'll be running
2 AKG C-1000's for overheads (recorderman setup) ,
2 Audix I5's for the hi and lo tom.
1 Audix D6 for the kick, and
either an SM57 or a shotgun mic I have for the snare. (I'd use the shotgun only because I can't find my 57 :/)

For guitar I'll have a neumann tlm-102 (just got it today, sounds SOOO good) mic'ing a '65 reissue Twin Reverb.
...building gobos While I don't even know what they are (cue google search) I'm moving across the country in 2 weeks and really don't have room to bring anything more with me.. But I'll still consider, thanks!

I've done this type of live recording before, only we had carpet all around us in a basement.. It turned out pretty damn well for what it was.. Have a music video from it if you're interested.

If only I had my guitar in tune...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShuC8LY1hJQ

Keep guitars, bass low as practical in the room, drums hot in the room.
That and if you can make gobos to go around the drum- perhaps a cloud' over them, that will aid more in getting/keeping the drum sound tighter.

We'll be recording live. Guitar, drums, and DI Bass. Thinking of propping a blanket over the guitar amp. Good/bad idea?

Yeah....I would do that. Build a thick double blanket "tent" to cover the amp & mic...with the bass going DI.
That way...the drums will have the room to themselves, and you will at least be able to get some seperation.
So the key will be to get the drums sounding decent in that room.
You just need to set up a cue mix for everyone so they can hear everything.

What about vocals....overdub later on...?
I would do that.

Thinking of propping a blanket over the guitar amp. Good/bad idea?
Be careful not to let the guitar amp overheat, catch fire, burn everything down. On a scale of good to bad, that would be bad. Mattresses in the corner will help a lot if you got them. Moving blankets, too, lots of them. You might make a decent space out of that place yet. Vocals later like Miro suggested.

The good thing with a storage unit is you don't have to worry about the neighbors.

Be careful not to let the guitar amp overheat, catch fire, burn everything down.

If you do the tent the right way...so there is some air space around the amp/mic, it should be fine...
...just let it breathe during breaks.
Don't just cover/choke the back of the amp with the blankets. I usually create a "frame" with a couple of chairs or whatever you have, and then drop the blankes over that...that way the amp/mic are not smothered.

Awesome! Thanks for the help/advice!

Yeah, vocals definitely will be separate. Not sure how to get sound protection/proofing/dampening/whatever above the drum kit. But I'll definitely look into isolating my guitar amp. Blankets but let it breath. Got it. Thanks again guys.

We're doing this tomorrow. It's our only chance before we need the demos for saturday. Hoping to get 13 songs done without vocals in 4 hours. :facepalm:

Hoping to get 13 songs done without vocals in 4 hours. :facepalm:

HaHA, one song every 18 mins not including any sound check, so one take and a listen, or a few takes and no listen, does this include the vocal overdubs?

I would get them to sound check, play each song through and thats it. No second chance.

I get bands like this often, book the studio for 4 hours and think they are going to record 10 songs for a CD. "Because each song is only 3 mins so it only takes 3 mins to record a song" so thats 30 mins to set up, 30 mins to record 10 songs and 3 hours for you to mix and master the 10 songs (18 mins each LOL), no problem. My answer, "Good Bye".

Alan.

HaHA, one song every 18 mins not including any sound check, so one take and a listen, or a few takes and no listen, does this include the vocal overdubs?

I would get them to sound check, play each song through and thats it. No second chance.

I get bands like this often, book the studio for 4 hours and think they are going to record 10 songs for a CD. "Because each song is only 3 mins so it only takes 3 mins to record a song" so thats 30 mins to set up, 30 mins to record 10 songs and 3 hours for you to mix and master the 10 songs (18 mins each LOL), no problem. My answer, "Good Bye".

Alan.
:) Gads, a lot'a spend half that much just staying in tune (..or sometimes getting there in the first place :)
A good 'tip sometimes is 'come in and do the 'quickie. Then you have a good sketch' for how they ought to be done.

The fastest I've ever done a recording was when a band came to me in a panic because they needed a demo CD to go in the mail the next day.

They arrived at 10am, set up and and eight basic tracks down by about 12.30 (all single takes). They did vocals in the afternoon. We mixed in the evening, and produced a master CD which they took with them at 10pm.

Lucky for me, it's my band that is doing the recording. And the vocals can be done any other day at our home if need be. And since all the recordings are live, and we have our songs nailed, I think we might be able to pull this off.
Sound check right away. Tune every 3rd song. And GO! Mixing and everything else will happen at a later date. All that we're doing is tracking. We can make it happen. I mean zzed got 8 tracks in 2 1/2 hours with a group he didn't know the music to. I know this music, I'll be playing this music, and I'll post some links when I get it. Can't wait.

I worked at a Mattress factory and when they threw out some rolls of quilting,(The strips around the edge of the mattress) my wife sewed them into curtains about 8' X 12' I hung three of those in my single car garage, and the 4th wall is an old 5' cubicle I got from a dumpster. I put plastic sheeting across the overhead beams for a "ceiling". When I record drums in there they sound INCREDIBLE. I use a Tascam 38 B 4-track R2R in the garage, and then bring it in the house and dump that into my computer (Sonar 8 Pro) and add all the other instruments and vocals. My "recording room" in the house is too small for a set of drums (8' X 14') BTW, two walls of books make great sound dampening.

I know, a major cobble job, but I'm a boy on a budget.

Back