recording drums in a 12x12 room?

Bisson820

we are taking a 24x12 room and making 2 12x12 rooms out of it.

would a 12x12 room with an 8 foot roof that plateaus for probably 4 feet accross and then slants down slightly on each side give a decent sound for recording drums?

square rooms are bad. Why are you dividing?

A-frickin'-MEN. DO NOT make two 12'x12' rooms...that would be many times worse than just keeping the room the size it is (which STILL ain't great). Add an 8' ceiling to that 12x12 space and you've got real problems.

Frank

The reason I -also- ask about dividing is because there seems to be a (mis)conception that a studio *must* consist of a control room and a live room. In reality, especially for a personal studio where you are the musician AND the engineer, a single room very well might even function better, not to mention a larger single room will likely sound better in the end. If you decide that you have to make two rooms, reconsider your dimensions.

The reason I -also- ask about dividing is because there seems to be a (mis)conception that a studio *must* consist of a control room and a live room. In reality, especially for a personal studio where you are the musician AND the engineer, a single room very well might even function better, not to mention a larger single room will likely sound better in the end. If you decide that you have to make two rooms, reconsider your dimensions.

Amen,

Adding to what Jeff said - I design studios - my personal room is 16 x 24 and I wouldn't even consider splitting it up - it serves the dual purpose of control and tracking rooms.

If you had a huge space I would recommend that you break the rooms out - but in a small space the goal should be to make it as acoustically pleasing as you can for the purpose of a control room - and then to make due with what you have for tracking. You can always use portable/movable acoustic treatments when tracking.

Rod

Amen,

Adding to what Jeff said - I design studios - my personal room is 16 x 24 and I wouldn't even consider splitting it up - it serves the dual purpose of control and tracking rooms.

If you had a huge space I would recommend that you break the rooms out - but in a small space the goal should be to make it as acoustically pleasing as you can for the purpose of a control room - and then to make due with what you have for tracking. You can always use portable/movable acoustic treatments when tracking.

Rod

Rod Gervais? the author?

We just purchased your book!

What we have exactly is the upsatirs of a garage, constructed with load beraing trusses. The over all space is 12' x 42'. The shape of the ceiling is as you would expect. Approx. a 4' flat center section slanting downward towards a 4' knee wall. Typical cape style. Approx. 4' of one end is taken up by the stairs leading down to the garage. We are mostly concerned with maximizing the quality of the recordings as opposed to containing noise. (Rural NH)

Would you recommend a combined control/tracking room, or a 12x16 control room, leaving the rest as the tracking room? Thank you so much for your help and advice, you're book has been extremely helpful.

Last edited:
I'd leave it as one large area and treat it (acoustically) as you would a control room. Ya don't want a 12X12 or 14X14. Square rooms are a bitch to tame.

Amen,

You can always use portable/movable acoustic treatments when tracking.

Rod

Although I don't have a house yet, we are wanting to buy one soon and I've often thought about this. Just having a nice, big room down stairs and using gobos and what not to isolate instruments while tracking. Shoot, I could even have a dual purpose space of a home theater and studio in one if done right. :)

Brandon

Back