Ratios: Monitor Size > Room Size> Treatment

Atom Bomb

Wtf is a PRS
So here is something that crossed my mind last night.

Is there a general rule of thumb and common sense when it comes to your room.

I know people like to zero in on things like

-what is the best monitor i should get
-What is the best treatment i need
-how big of a space do i need.

etc. etc. etc.

But after re-assessing my own space i started to look at the over all picture and a light bulb went off.

I was thinking lately of upgrading to an 8 inch monitor but then i thought to myself, will my roomsize handle an 8 inch monitor? In my mind it might, but i would probably require some additional treatment which ultimately means more $$$. more work etc etc etc.

That said, So at what point does common sense provide you with a logical balance? I understand we all want the best possible sounding recordings but does having the biggest monitors and thousands of dollars worth treatment in an 8' x 8' room negate "the best possible mix/recording"

Thoughts anyone?

You are on the right track. Room volume, speaker diameter, and SPL levels all must be balanced within a room regardless of size. In small rooms, we have reflection management to deal with. We can use diffusion or absorption to minimize reflections at the listening or monitoring position. If we have more energy within a given space and volume, we need more acoustical management, especially with lower frequencies.

I have heard small rooms sound good for middle and high frequency management, but I have never heard a small room sound good for low frequency monitoring. The larger rooms have it hands down over smaller brooms when it comes to bass energy management.

Regards,
Mike

I am not sure that size matters, as far as the room is concerned. 5'" monitors will sound as shitty as 8" ones in an untreated room, but without the ability to adequately reproduce low frequencies. Treat the room first, then try monitors. There is no way to say what is best in your space, until you deal with the issues your space gives you. Then, get monitors that can accurately tell you what your mixes need. The size of the woofer really means nothing. I have heard monitors with dual 6" drivers that blow away a cheap pair of 8's. I'm not talking volume here. That is not what is important. In live situations, moving air is important. Not the case when monitoring while mixing. Unless you are deaf, in which case, you probably wouldn't be asking this question....

I agree after years of mixing on msp5 yamahas I would say that treating my room made a bigger difference than upgrading to adam A7X although they definitely sound fantastic they probably would've sounded like crap in my previously untreated room.

Hi, I have a room 3,5(L) X 3 (W) and I want to buy a pair of studio monitors. Which size is the best? 5'' or 7''?

Hi, I have a room 3,5(L) X 3 (W) and I want to buy a pair of studio monitors. Which size is the best? 5'' or 7''?

Welcome to the forums. It's always better to start a new topic, rather than dredge up a semi-related one that is years old.

What do you have for acoustic treatment in the room (bass traps)?
Read this excellent thread on small room acoustics.

Back