Rack Rails..

FranklinD

Does anyone have any recommendations on what rack rails I should get for a desk I'm building? I need two sets of 12 unit rails. I'm thinking about going with Middle Atlantic. Should I get the ones with the square holes that take the clip-in mounting washers(I guess that's what they're called) or are the pre-threaded rails the way to go? Just looking for some opinions, really. I'm thinking the pre-threaded will be fine as long as I make my measurements and cuts accurate. Thanks.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what rack rails I should get for a desk I'm building? I need two sets of 12 unit rails. I'm thinking about going with Middle Atlantic. Should I get the ones with the square holes that take the clip-in mounting washers(I guess that's what they're called) or are the pre-threaded rails the way to go? Just looking for some opinions, really. I'm thinking the pre-threaded will be fine as long as I make my measurements and cuts accurate. Thanks.

They both have their advantages, pre-threaded: no messing with clips, woohoo. Clips: No worry about striping out the threads of a pre-threaded rail. I went with pre-threaded for the rack on top of my desk. But downstairs the rack where my headphone amp is, and the rack where my home theater equipment is, just happen to use clips, didn't have a choice on those. But really you can't lose, and most equipment I have come across has at least a 1/8" total give up or down to fit in just right, so that advantage of clips is really also there with the the threaded rails.

I used pre-threadded rails when I built my desk (2 sets of 10-U), and it worked out nicely. I wouldn't want to hassle with clips.

Middle Atlantic rails are pre-threaded. you can get them from a variety of sources. Amazon is one.

I'll vote for the pre-threaded any day. As previously stated, just about any piece of rackmount gear you will buy will have a decent amount of "play". Now if you had something like 30 or 40 rack spaces in a row, you may end up with a problem, but if it's only 12 space, go with the pre-threaded.

I've used prethreaded on the 3 racks i've built. I just buy the ones at GC since i can just walk in, but them, and be back home in 10 min. I'm not sure what brand it is but they have worked fine.

Back