Quick studio cooling question

polarity

This is a home studio, if you want to call it that =)

What have you done for cooling in the room? Obviously fans would be a big no no for the sound they create but even a home AC has some substantial noise. Are you doing anything to stop taht noise or just getting rid of it with software?

I have a walk in closet that I am hoping to change into a "vocal booth". It has it's own AC vent and stays nice a cool. It's only 5x6 with an 8' ceiling so I know I will have to treat the room the best I can for all the other problems.

The room I use to record is a 12x12 (same ceiling). Unfortunately it's on the second floor of my house right now (won't be when we build our next house).

I haven't done anything yet to treat these rooms acoustically (buying a book on that now). Just thought I'd get some opinions.

I built my studio in the garage and had to mount a window a/c unit in the wall. It was the only way. Before hitting the big red button, I turn it off. Turn it back on when I'm done tracking. Sometimes I forget to turn it off and usually don't really hear it in the recording. So, your house hvac might not be as much of a problem as it might seem at first.

However, if you're a DIYer and are able to make modifications to your hvac system, you can build a plenum. This is a box which replaces the air vents in your room. It is fed by the incoming air of your HVAC system with baffles inside to attenuate the sound of the moving air plus the outlet vent is much larger which slows the moving air down so it doesn't make as much noise.

There are some threads about building one, so try a search for plenum.

Perfect, thanks! I wasn't sure what I need to search for and "studio cooling" gave me tons of threads on computers. Much appreciated

Back