Quick poll about studio monitors

Xcaliber

Doesn't really fit into a poll format so I'm just going to type the questions and you can reply with answers.

1. What size studio monitors do you use (list all if you have more than one)
2. Are they "standing up" or laying on their side?
3. Approximately what size is the room you use them in?
4. Does the room have acoustic treatment (I know the answer for this is going to be yes more then likely)

Thanks!

1. 8"
2. Standing up
3. About 17' x 14'
4. Yes (floor to ceiling bass traps in front corners, broadband absorption at first reflection points, ceiling cloud, moveable screens/traps in rear corners)

BTW, good choice...polls suck :)

1. JBL LSR305 monitors (5")
2. Standing up on iso pads
3. Approximately 8' x 12' with 8' ceilings and a weird little nook where the door is.
4. Very crappy temporary gobos

1. 6" Mackie HR624
2. Standing up
3. Average residential garage
4. No; Although I have a few 4'x2'x8" panels that I can set up.

Just a suggestion. You should have 5. Post a mix.
It might be good to get an idea of how these choices and circumstances are affecting the outcomes.
I have a basic mix in the clinic right now, and some stuff in my signature.

A nice dual 8" + tweet crossed over at around 600 main pair, and a 6" version. Both stand up'.
15 x 20 x 9', partial treatment.

Biggest fun new add; I found an old set JBL 2105's I recently started using one as mix cube'.
First of all this 'mid forward thing is really cool. And they were sitting around here all this time.. waiting for me to get a clue that is ;)

1. 8" Yamaha HS8
2. Standing up (on stands)
3. Upstairs spare room (12'x10'x8')
4. I have some 2x4x6" panels (or gobo not what what to call them) that I've built. I kept them in the corners and have some more I put around whoever is playing if recording).

That said I really want to have a better treated room, space is the big problem and I haven't figured out exactly how to resolve that yet.

1. 8" Neumann KSM310
2. On their sides on stands (they're designed to be be on their sides)
3. 21' x 19' x 9'.
4. No explicit treatment, but plenty of diffractive and absorbent material and furnishings (e.g. spikey stone wall).

For steeno's suggested 5., try anything in the links in my sig.

I recently acquired (through the magic of eBay) a pair of M-Audio BX8's to go with my KRK Rokit 5's. I think the 8's might be "too much" for my room. Though it's a big room it's not dedicated to recording/mixing and it's not treated. My desk sits near a corner. Nothing I can do about the placement at the moment or the treatment. I think the 8's might have been a waste at this point.

Nothing the matter with having 8s

Others may disagree, but I think it is a fallacy that speakers are too big for a room. Within reason.

Others may disagree, but I think it is a fallacy that speakers are too big for a room.

Yep. I've never understood why speakers may be regarded as too big for a room. Just don't drive them so hard.

1. KRK G2 8, Event TR8, BIC V1020 subwoofer
2. Standing vertical on Mopads angled downward to listening position from 4' tall cinder block stands with wood plank between. This also supports video monitors 3 and 4.
3. 13' X 30' with 7.5' ceilings.
4. Floor to ceiling 2' wide 4" thick Roxul 80 bass traps behind monitors in corners. Each side wall has 4-2'x4'x2" thick Roxul panels spaced at 3.5' apart from listening position. 2-2'x4'x2" cloud panels suspended from ceiling above listening position.

Others may disagree, but I think it is a fallacy that speakers are too big for a room. Within reason.

I agree as well.

Though I also have some PA speakers in my control room that I use for other musicians to listen from while tracking drums (which are in an isolated room) that have 18" woofers, 10" mids and dome tweet. May be too big but nobody seems to complain. I sure wouldn't think of mixing with them tho. Loud as hell but YUCK! :)

There was this small studio in Hollywood with a smallish 10 ×15 control room with a set of Urei 813s.
Big boys with a 15 inch coax and a 15 inch passive radiator. Those and some NS10s. Recorded to one inch 8 track.

Great sounding stuff came out of that small room.

I ended up buying the 813s and used them for home stereo speakers in a 9×12 living room.

As long as you didnt crank em, it sounded awsome.

Yeah, no such thing as too big for the room in my opinion.

;-)

1) 5" JBL LSR305
2) Upright on foam pads
3) 10'4" x 11'2"
4) 2x4x4" traps on front wall, first reflection points and back wall. Mini superchunks in upper back corners, 3" thick ceiling cloud.

Thanks guys. The BX8s have a volume control on the back so I can tweak them and some acoustic settings I need to play with to see if I can make them sound better in my room. I'm trying to figure out how to convince my wife to let me have a room in the house for the studio. Wish I'd planned for one when we moved in and forgone the pool table that no one ever plays. :(

1. 8 Inch.
2. Standing, on isolation pads
3. 16' width x 35' depth x 9' height
4. Yes. Tons of it. OC503 all over the place

1. What size studio monitors do you use (list all if you have more than one) & 2. Are they "standing up" or laying on their side?

pair 1: Mission Pro SM6P: 6", standing up (have to as the design is that the tweeter is at the bottom)
Pair 2: Yamaha NS10: 7", Standing up, I just like them standing up. These have a JBL sub connected as well.
Pair 3: Auratone 5C (originals): 4.5" They are cube so every way is standing up LOL.

3. Approximately what size is the room you use them in?

16' long x 11.5' wide x 8.5' high.

4. Does the room have acoustic treatment (I know the answer for this is going to be yes more then likely)

Yes 2 x large bass traps, side high/mid absorbers, ceiling clouds, rear defuser.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I tweaked the acoustic, bass frequencies and volume controls on the BX8's and they sound a lot better now. I'm going to try and figure out how to build some monitor stands so I can keep them incorporated into the studio (since they are taking up a lot of desk space right now).

Back