Questions re: Window Sound-Proofing

Doowah

I'm setting up a home studio in a small spare bedroom in my house. The room in question is on the second floor and has one rather large window that faces a neighbor's house. My house is fairly new construction, and appears to be relatively sound-proofed in general. But I'm worried about that window.

The window is approximately 47" high x 63" long, and it is recessed 3'' from the interior wall. My plan is to sandwich trimmed panels of 2" thick OC 703 or OC 705 between two pieces of sheetrock cut to fit snugly inside the recessed window space, effectively blocking it out. Questions are:

1.) Is this a viable plan? Are there any pitfalls to my proposal, or is there a better way of doing it?
2.) Would the OC 705 work better than the OC 703 for me (i.e., block more sound) because it is denser?
3.) Can I use spray adhesive to attach the rigid insulation to the sheetrock panels without any undesirable consequences?

Keep in mind that whatever I do, the solution must be non-destructive. I want to be able to undo the installation and return the window to its original condition, should I decide to sell the house sometime in the future.

Thanks for your input...

Yeah, thats a solution. Do you want to be able to take id down when you aren't using the room or do you think you'll keep it up until you move?

You could maybe do a similar solution, but add more layers of plywood or gyp board instead of the 703. Mass is your friend when it comes to stopping sound. So like maybe a layer or 2 of gyp sandwiched between 2 layers of plywood.

One thing you'll need to keep in mind, is that if that window gets any sun, you may end up with a damaged or even broken window because of heat buildup. Maybe do something on a hinge kinda like solid, heavy shutters. Or, do something you can sit in the window opening, but put handles on it so you can lift it out and store it up against a wall or something.

Yeah, thats a solution. Do you want to be able to take id down when you aren't using the room or do you think you'll keep it up until you move?

You could maybe do a similar solution, but add more layers of plywood or gyp board instead of the 703. Mass is your friend when it comes to stopping sound. So like maybe a layer or 2 of gyp sandwiched between 2 layers of plywood.

One thing you'll need to keep in mind, is that if that window gets any sun, you may end up with a damaged or even broken window because of heat buildup. Maybe do something on a hinge kinda like solid, heavy shutters. Or, do something you can sit in the window opening, but put handles on it so you can lift it out and store it up against a wall or something.

I'm not planning on removing the window treatment unless we move sometime in the future, and that wouldn't be for several years if it happened at all. So, I'm looking at a semi-permanent solution, nothing that I'd be putting up and tearing down every time that I fired up the studio.

I hadn't considered just using sheetrock and plywood panels. I just assumed that the OC703/705 would be required. Now that I think about it, it should have been obvious that the sheetrock is definitely the densest material in the equation. That would present a much cheaper solution, as well. Quick math tells me that I could fill that 3" recessed window space with a sheet of 1/4" plywood on front and back of the assembly, with four or five pieces of 1/2" sheetrock sandwiched between the plywood sheets. THAT ought to suppress some sound!

The heat build-up would definitely be an issue, and one that I hadn't considered. I live in Phoenix, which is a suburb of hell, and the window faces West fer chrissakes! I'll have to ponder that one a little more. Thanks for bringing it up, for sure. As a matter of fact, thanks for your great input in general.

Back