Questions about superchunk size and shape

Ninth Life Lost

Hi, everyone!

A friend and I are building a studio in a 24 ft. x 11.5 ft. room in her house. I think the ceiling is 8 ft., but I could be mistaken. The console and nearfields will be facing one of the short (11.5 ft.) walls and be placed about 7 to 9 ft. back from that wall. That wall has door openings to two deep closets. The closet interiors appear to be asymmetrically shaped. There is a door opening to the living room on the adjacent wall to the left of one of the closets. None of the doors are installed. In fact, there are no door jambs or trim, just a rectangular opening for each door. The sheetrock isn't finished in the room, i.e., the paper backing is exposed. The mixer and rack gear will be on stands that almost exactly fit the footprint of the gear - no unnecessary horizontal surfaces exposed. Given the open closets in the front wall, the nearby open living room door, and the distance between the monitors and the front wall, I'm thinking early reflections from the front of the room (coming from behind the monitors) won't be a huge concern. I'm going to start with a 3-panel cloud and a single horizontal panel on each side wall at ear level to tame early reflections in the sweet spot and go from there.

I'm looking ahead to what I will need to do to the back of the room, behind the console. There will be a solidly built vintage leather sofa against the back wall. There will be enough space at either end of the sofa for a superchunk, if necessary. I had this idea to spread the costs out over time by building smallish bass trap cubes as funds allow, until I eventually have enough cubes to stack from floor to ceiling in the corners.

My questions are:

(1) Nearly all of the DIY corner bass traps I see are made of rock wool cut into triangular wedges. Would a rectangular or square shape not be suitable? I would think a square (-ish) footprint would be more likely to provide proper depth for bass absorption across the entire face of the chunk. In other words, the parts of a triangular chunk near the vertices of the triangle would be too thin to absorb bass and essentially be wasted material.

(2) For a room of this size, what's a safe estimate of how thick the chunks will need to be (measured from the front of the chunk to the wall behind it) to provide decent bass absorption?

Sorry this was so long. Thanks for reading it! :D

Back