Proud papa moment - a little story on my studio

Nice! That's a great write-up, and a good-looking studio space. Cheers (from another Chad)!

Awesome write up!

Question though about the first guy, he is recording vocals in what appears to be a small booth. I'm sure the construction has something to do with it, but would that not sound bad? Is it the room in a room so there is space outside the walls or what it's made of that matters?

Just curious why that works.

Awesome write up!

Question though about the first guy, he is recording vocals in what appears to be a small booth. I'm sure the construction has something to do with it, but would that not sound bad? Is it the room in a room so there is space outside the walls or what it's made of that matters?

Just curious why that works.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, but I'll give it a shot. If you're talking about soundproofing (i.e., preventing sound from escaping and entering the booth), then I think both matter (the room-in-a-room and the materials from which it's made). If you're talking about the recording quality of his booth, I think he's just trying to create a soundproof (not completely, but enough) dead space in which to record. He most likely adds ambiance (verb, delay, etc.) after the fact via processors. When you don't have a big, nice-sounding room (acoustically speaking) to use, it generally sounds better (more consistently anyway) if you use a deadened space and add the ambiance electronically. That's been my experience anyway.

I see people posting all the time about trying to turn a small room (or closet, or even build something) for a small vocal booth. Almost every time I see it brought up they are told not to do it. At this point I understand that I don't know about acoustics so when mjbphoto's tells me that it will sound bad, I trust him on it. That room looks like it can't be any bigger than 4x6 at the most, so I'm curious why that works. I see that he has foam in there but not much else (don't know what the walls are made of). If you dropped 6" of 703 in a room a little bigger than that on every surface I'm told it would sound bad.

Just hoping someone can help me understand why.

By the way, the pictures I wasn't sure which was which, but if you are the one with the tracking/playroom I really liked that. Made it functional for your family but it still looked like it could have a nice vibe to just sit and play in.

I see people posting all the time about trying to turn a small room (or closet, or even build something) for a small vocal booth. Almost every time I see it brought up they are told not to do it. At this point I understand that I don't know about acoustics so when mjbphoto's tells me that it will sound bad, I trust him on it. That room looks like it can't be any bigger than 4x6 at the most, so I'm curious why that works. I see that he has foam in there but not much else (don't know what the walls are made of). If you dropped 6" of 703 in a room a little bigger than that on every surface I'm told it would sound bad.

Just hoping someone can help me understand why.

By the way, the pictures I wasn't sure which was which, but if you are the one with the tracking/playroom I really liked that. Made it functional for your family but it still looked like it could have a nice vibe to just sit and play in.

Thanks .. yes that was me with the tracking/play room and the control room with the green paint.

Regarding the other guy's booth, I'm not really sure. I didn't look closely at what he had for treatment in there at first, but now I see that it looks as though it's covered with foam. Maybe the walls are lined with rigid fiberglass too or something.

I'm not really sure why you wouldn't be able to get a good sound from a room that size. I've seen lots of studios with vocal booths around that size before, including the one at Stax Studios in Atlanta when I took a tour there a few years ago. I wasn't aware that people were saying that a room that size is problematic for vocals.

Edit: Just as with gear, lots of people have opinions on acoustics. Sure, there is a science to it, but if you ever watch documentaries of albums being made, you'll usually find all kinds of examples of a band/artist doing something that someone here would tell you that you can't (or shouldn't) do, yet it doesn't stop them from making an album that goes platinum, etc.

Man you look just like Scott Ian from Anthrax! hahaha Nice story man...I am sure it feels good to feel worthy enough to have a story done on you.

Saw that. pretty fucking cool!

Regarding proud papa.....Your wife MUST be cool, She has the same name as my daughter:thumbs up:

Interesting.. Thanks Beagle!

A couple days ago I posted about trying to make a kind of quiet iso room (not sound proof, just no room noises or reflections). Just something to record really quiet stuff in. It's a 6x5 or so room (closet) that I was going to cover with 6" of 703 on each surface (aside from the floor). The basics of what I heard were that it would sound weird, so I figured I'd scrap the project.

I don't plan on really recording guitar cabs in there (as I have none, but maybe in the future for others) which was what they said would probably work ok. Maybe I should just do it and see what happens. Hate to waste the money if it fails, but if it works I get some more usable space, which is at a freakin premium for me.

Thanks .. yes that was me with the tracking/play room and the control room with the green paint.

Regarding the other guy's booth, I'm not really sure. I didn't look closely at what he had for treatment in there at first, but now I see that it looks as though it's covered with foam. Maybe the walls are lined with rigid fiberglass too or something.

I'm not really sure why you wouldn't be able to get a good sound from a room that size. I've seen lots of studios with vocal booths around that size before, including the one at Stax Studios in Atlanta when I took a tour there a few years ago. I wasn't aware that people were saying that a room that size is problematic for vocals.

Edit: Just as with gear, lots of people have opinions on acoustics. Sure, there is a science to it, but if you ever watch documentaries of albums being made, you'll usually find all kinds of examples of a band/artist doing something that someone here would tell you that you can't (or shouldn't) do, yet it doesn't stop them from making an album that goes platinum, etc.

Back