Project Backyard Studio - Advice desperately needed

intothewoods

Scenario: I have a grassy backyard in New England, about 3K saved up, and little-to-no building experience.

I also have a burning desire to build a quiet music studio -- so quiet that I can sing as loud as I want with only the slightest peep will be heard outside.

If you were in my position, what would you do?

1) Save a lot more money. Or
2) Look for a rental practice studio.

Do you have a basement in your house that you could use? 3K would go further in building a 'room within a room' in the basement than a stand-alone building. Have you priced building supplies recently?

Thanks for the response Mike! While I have a basement, it's from the 1930's and unfortunately far too low to work with (I have to duck just to walk through it). However, I'm willing to up my budget if need be.

Tell me if this is crazy: I had an idea a lot of musicians have likely had at one point or another -- Buying a relatively large wooden shed, insulating it, appling a couple layers of thick drywall, ensuring materials are nicely decoupled and ventilation is "deadened." Is this in the realm of possibility?

Quick clarification - I only need room for myself, my guitar, a small amp, and a small recording interface. This doesn't need to be a studio with "the works."

I've seen plenty of sheds available through home depot. Some are big enough to live in, and people in the tiny house craze buy them ad a starting point. Some are 2 story even.

Pretty cheap, but i doubt 3k is going to get you any kind of finished jam room.

They always say that when your building something that it will cost more and take longer than anticipated.
:D

A decent size shed is about 2, 500. Generally no permits are needed, but check your local zoning

Being that its summer you could get one now and as time and budget permits finish it out.

Lots of guys buy these things for man caves.

I think its a good viable way to go.
:D

It's the "so quiet that I can sing as loud as I want with only the slightest peep will be heard outside" part that kills the price. Most sheds have 2x3 construction, and typically a 6 ft wall height. A larger one will blow your whole budget. I don't know if you are north or south in New England, but it really doesn't matter - in the summer sheds get hot, and in the winter they get cold. Running electricity to them requires permitting, unless you just run temporary extension cords.

My house is older than yours, so I know what you mean about low ceiling in the basement. That's why I've had to make do with a room with 1 door, 2 openings and 2 windows and also stores a dining hutch and dishes.

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the honesty. I'll add up the materials cost and may very well need to increase my budget by quite a bit.

The local music rehearsal space around here starts at $300/mo, so that's definitely out.

You probably already know this, but the lumber at Lowes and Home Depot sucks. You need to pick through the pieces to find good ones (straight, no bad defects). I had to go through more than a dozen 2x10x8footers to find 2 for my picnic table - and they still weren't very good (split ends, knot holes). Reminds me of the old Grossman's Bargain Outlet days.

Hey!

These decisions are usually tough because most of the initial ideas are expensive but I think you can get pretty far with $3k. I (probably like most home recording musicians) am always looking for ways to simultaneously improve my recording quality and reduce potentially angry neighbors :)
What I've done is designed and built my own isolation boxes for both guitar amps and vocals and now they just sit in my apartment for me to use. In fact, the lease on my apartment includes a back yard shed that is finished but I'm not even using it for recording because of the extra treatment and expense that would go into it (sound treatment, extra computer, extra this and that).

I'd check out this website to get some ideas and maybe buy one of their stronger proofing booths like these: Mobile Soundproof (-er) Sound Booths They have some good videos showing how well they work. This will eat up all of the $3k though. If you want a cheaper version and are inclined to build one yourself, you can take some ideas from my video: DIY Guitar Amp Isolation Box - YouTube

Good luck!

Guitar amp isolation is comparatively easy. Doing vocals in a little makeshift 'booth' rarely sounds good.

Unfortunately, $3K won't build much of a shed.
Start by going down to Lowe's (I happen to like their lumber just fine) and getting 5 or 6 twelve foot 4x4s and build the floor on that. 2x6 walls. 2x6 or 2x4 rafters. Sheathing. A door. Some roofing to dry it in.
Well, if your area allows it like mine does, anyway. Chances are in New England, you'll be subject to oppressive, endless, regulations.
Of course, when you're done, you'll have zero money and your shed will still look like a packing crate for a jet engine or something. Making a nice looking, or even passable looking space will take about twice that cash unless you can do some educated scrounging.
This is assuming you already have all your microphones and electronics you'd care to use, also.
You're entering a world where your two biggest assets are knowledge and money. If you're short on either one, it'll punish you mercilessly.
I can only wish you the best.

Ponder5

Plan your studion first

Before you spend any money on building a studio start by planning what you wish to accomplish and a time line on which to do it. Investigate what others have done and visit their studios to get some ideas. You could always start by choosing to convert a existing room in your home to your studio and then build along with your growing budget. I would not just jump into the middle of a new construction without learning all about your choices.

Back