Prevent house cats clawing/scratching up the gobo's?

RawDepth

It hasn't happened yet, but my portable gobo's and bass traps will soon be moved to a home that has cats. The 3 largest upright gobo's are about 4 x 7 ft, stuffed with compressed rockwool, and covered with light-weight fleece. I few other bass panels are stuffed with compressed fiberglass and covered with some sort of stretchy cotton-synthetic hybrid fabric.

At any rate, we fear the worst that the cats will claw them all up and ruin the fabric. We want to cover or wrap them with something that will protect them, but are at a loss for what to use that won't obstruct absorption. Moving blankets? Plastic? Porcupine quills? Also, how to attach it?

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 000_1309.JPG
    000_1309.JPG
    422.3 KB · Views: 41
Kill them, give them away, don't let them in the room, make them live outside.

All kinds of ways to protect your stuff. :D

But I would never declaw them. That's just sadistic.

Oh and in case you think I'm anti-cat, I have two.

It's a love/hate relationship I have with those hairy demons.
:D :D

I keep my studio closed to my cats when I am not there...but I do let them in when I'm in the studio, and they generally behave, and have their designated spots.
That said, I just built 6 very large bass traps, that are gobo-like, and meant to be portable...and I don't want them to even think about scratching on them, since the cloth I used wasn't cheap.

I'll see how they react to the new traps next time they are in the studio...but I might get some of that spray made by Feliway, which is often used to calm cats when you add a new one or when they just don't get along...and it also acts like a repellent...it's a synthetic cat pheromone. They now have a new product called Feliscratch, which also uses a synthetic pheromone, but I think it's only a little different from their original Feliway.

You can/should also clip their nails regularly so they are not as pointy and sharp (don't cut too much/too deep, just the clear tips)...and give them other scratch options.
I've got strips of indoor/outdoor carpet (the real tight-weave stuff) on the edges of my doorway frames throughout the house. I just stapled it to the wood mouldings. It doesn't look bad, but you need to replace it after awhile because it gets all torn up.
My cats don't seem to care for the typical "scratch post", they prefer the doorways :D, and if I didn't put the carpet there, they would just scratch on the wood mouldings anyway (I have some that I need to replace because they clawed the shit out of them, but for now, I just covered them with the carpet. :) )

My cats also respond well when I give them a loud NO! or HEY!...and they know it's something they shouldn't be doing...but I still have to keep an eye on them...they're cats, and cats like to fuck with stuff. :p

Tiger shit. Place it/smear it anywhere you don't want cats.

I have a different cat problem. They cone into my garden and eat the hedgehog food. Not so bad now since they don't care much for the dried stuff but I would like to put down mince later in the year to fatten the hogs for hibernation. I am going to get a battery powered water gun and arrange some form of size-of-animal related trigger.

More practically!! They say, cats won't walk on wrinkled up ally foil? Wife would LOVE another cat and I quite like them but we's both old so would not be fair (might PO anytime!) and in any case,the fekkin' VET's bills!!!

Dave.

My traps are all hanging, so pretty much out of the cats' way. Never saw them interested in them at all. On the other hand, my fake-leather desk chair has claw marks all over it.

Back