Portable Studio Enclosure?

ishou

I am a very poor home recordist (is that a word?) and the only place I have around here to do anything is in my barn, which sounds really really quite nasty to record in. So, here's my idea:
I will build an enclosure, big enough for say, a drum set. The walls will be made of sound deadening board, and the insides will be covered with sound absorbing foam. There will be three walls and a ceiling, and the fourth wall will be drapes, and I'll have lights inside and stuff. My question: Is this structure *at all* useful? And if so, what are the pros and cons of using such an enclosure? If not, what should I do?

ishou:
I am a very poor

Welcome to the Club Ishou! hahaha

Now concerning your question, allow me to ask this.

Are you worried about the sound getting on to your recordings, or containing the sound of the Drums?
Because they tend to be two different things.
You can knock down the external sounds enough to have pretty clean recordings-but that doesn't mean you'll contain the sound created INSIDE the area (i.e, where the drums are). Generally The Drums are going to be louder than the noises coming in for most part.
Being a Drummer and Home recorder-that's been my experience.
When I had carpet nailed over my wall with Carpet pad(over a window) I couldn't hear the guy next door standing outside yelling at me-but he could sure hear my Snare drum!
Hahahaha

Yes-You can do what you are talking about, and there are various ways to do it.
I'm working on a design for one made from 3" thick Bedfoam and PVC pipe "Frames" that will hold it all together.
It's just a little experiment that I have going on.

I really should become a Physicist and specialize in Audio, because I love to toy with this stuff so much.

Tim

[This message has been edited by Tim Brown (edited 07-11-2000).]

Thanks Tim,
What I'm trying to do is A) Make my recording enviroment sound nice, as opposed to the crappy flutter echo present in my big barn, and B) keep other instruments out of there! So, yes, i see that B) is fullfilled by this. I also want to use it for voice, cause i hear a nice studio closet gives good vocals.

Back