Portable Classroom As A Studio ?

trebles

Hello there

well in my quest for knowledge on the subject of recording all all thats involved here i am now up to finding out about the studio the room/rooms we create in.

My plan was to do this i want to set up a 24 track studio to record bands most anykind as long as they are drum and guitar based :-))

But the cost in renting places or trying to buy the big happening place decked out with the best neve and studer gear aint going to happen for me.

In my thoughts about this subject i went looking for info on what they look like inside i mean ive seen studios but i was kind of looking for some sort of site which will take you on a virtual tour of established studios something with a 360 degree viewer which allows you to look around the place and draw upon what others have done.

Yes i know there was a place in homerecording to do this and i have been there some nice layouts etc but im more looking for the virtual tour allowing me to look at the booths and the main layout but looking as if i was standing inside walking around the place.

Anyway some of the ideas i came up with myself id like to bounce of others here and see if these ideas are good or maybe find out iam going the wrong way about all of this.

I was thinking of maybe buying a relocatable classroom like a portable and placing this on a piece of land like in my backyard i realise this is only the begining the inside has to be decked out and made correct for sound application but i thought hey this is heaps cheaper then asking someone to build you a room on your land and for any reason you have to move you can always get rid of the portable or relocate it when you move.

Any assistance here would be valued just let me know what you think and if there is an easier way i guess iam trying to achieve a working studio something people can work in and when its not recording the main floor space can double as rehersal space for bands any ideas people :-) thank you in advance to those who assisted

Cheers

Wayne
Melbourne Australia

I was thinking of maybe buying a relocatable classroom like a portable and placing this on a piece of land like in my backyard i realise this is only the begining the inside has to be decked out and made correct for sound application but i thought hey this is heaps cheaper then asking someone to build you a room on your land and for any reason you have to move you can always get rid of the portable or relocate it when you move.

A portable classroom is like a motor home, or a construction office trailer, right? If so, treat it like you would any structure, just seal it up good :)

Acoustically treating any space, assuming the structure is existing, whether a trailer, condo, bedroom, basement, typically has the same "per square foot" cost for each level of treatment. Where costs often go out of control (trust me on this one) is poor planning and having to re-do your efforts. This is applicable to any type of construction, of course.

And I agree, the advantage of a trailer is it can be relocated, but the downside, is trailers and motor homes are a "snap" to break into, thus your equipment would be at a higher risk than in a building made of steel, concrete, with a strong lock/alarm system.

that aside, trailers can be purchased used and new, and used are fairly inexpensive. You have potential for a nice footprint as far as size/space and potential construction options.

Hello again and thank you for your feedback its great to know at least my idea was not a total loss.

If you think of the size of one of those classrooms well thats the size i want to use i know the councils in my area are going to have something to say but i intend on making the right friends before this construction goes into place that way everyone is on side as doing this stuff in resedential areas all ways causes some sort of stir so as you can see i got a lot of friends to make before it all goes together :-)

the only other thing i feel i might have to consider is all the dimensions etc i was reading this text on studios and acoustic design etc some of it went over my head but the basic message on planning sunk into place i realise the rush of blood will come and some decisions could be rushed if iam not carefull but i am a lot older now so iam sure i should be fine here :-) heres the url for the site i found this info

http://www.mcs.net/~malcolm/studio.txt

hope someone else can find something here of use to themselves as well :-)

Ok now for the question on setting the inside up perfect for sound this is a contentious issue with most everyone claiming one thing or the other the url i supplied above i felt was pretty solid and sound on what it had to say its just iam not the person to decipher its mathematical equations maybe if one of the sound engineers who so kindly assist us all can take a look at the above url maybe they can paint it all a little more simple so this can all be understood a little easier any takers :-) blue bear sound where are you bruce hehehehe :-)))) anyway i feel i am on the way to having most everything ive asked answered and do hope to be able to also contribute more essp once i got this little building happening it wont happen over night so i am going the computer route for now but i do have my sights firmly set on that little 24 track setup hey i got to dream a little too nothing ever happened without a dream or the will to make it happen anyway cheers and thanks to all for all their kind assistance.

kindest regards

wayne

Melbourne

Hello again and thank you for your feedback its great to know at least my idea was not a total loss.

Glad to help :)

sort of stir so as you can see i got a lot of friends to make before it all goes together :-)

yes, most important :)

lot older now so iam sure i should be fine here :-) heres the url for the site i found this info

The key to building your studio right the first time, is have a good design, take the time to purchase the right materials, and take your time constructing.

There is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with copying a working studio's configuration if it works well. Check out some local studios that are similar in size and shape and copy :)

url maybe they can paint it all a little more simple so this can all be understood a little easier any takers :-) blue bear sound where are you bruce hehehehe :-)))) anyway i feel i am on the way to having most everything ive asked answered and do

Well, keep in mind, if you and I had identically sized rooms, and yours was made of yellow pine, and mine was made of douglas fir, they would sound different. With enough SPL, even how the joists are fastened (nails or bolts or glue) can make minor differences.

No matter who you talk to, no matter what you read, I believe that it will be difficult to make a perfect room no matter what you do. Also, "perfect" is very subjective. Do you want a little more live reflections in the room? Hardwood floor :) If you want a dead room, layer sound absorption materials everywhere. Anyway, building a studio is expensive, so you need to make choices and balance what is important to you. This is what I'm doing with mine. I would love a "perfect room", but clearly, its going to be out of my price range. Clearly. So, I'm in the process of building a "respectable" room, that probably will colorize the audio a bit, but hopefully not too much.

Also, after you build it, you can pump a sine wave from one of your older synths through your console amplifiers/monitors, and walk around the room listening for phase shifting and other audio abnomilies. Move the sound treatments around and/or adjust the height/direction of your speakers. This is what the pro room tuners do, except they have fancy test equipment and a nice cad package to work with :) But it can be done with your ears. Remember that "perfect" is subjective, what is perfect to you, is perfect to you :)

cheers and thanks to all for all their kind assistance.

Welcome aboard Wayne :)

Hiya Trebles,

Mate, I reckon if portable classrooms are the same your side of the border as they are mine you best consider using it as the outer shell and fully build your studio within............like rooms inside a bigger room. I would imagine it is the only way you will get satisfactory sound isolation, both from sound gettin in and out.

But hell, all the best.....go for it if it is your dream.

Peace.........ChrisO

Hi there Oz R O C K Y E A H H U P ! :-)

Nice to also talk to someone from where i come from as well im in Melbourne here oz ex sydney person here but heading back there 2004

Yes the way you stated it in your post would be the way id like to deck this portable out ahhhhh just to get the dam councils on side and pesky neigbhours well you never know i may even have to dig underground as yet hehehe i really got the studio bug hah

i guess i could have worse habbits like gambling hey :-) o well thank for the encouragment feels good that people like your ideas and if this also assists their own projects i am all for it people in here are great m8 they assist you heaps hopefully when i am good enough as well i can do just the same :-)

cheers wayne
Melbourne Australia :)

Back