Please help me tweak the acoustics for my small studio

Magus90

Hello,

I am new to the recording world and was hoping to get some room acoustics advice. I am a retro game collector and i am starting a small channel just for fun to pass some time and keep me busy. I bought some nice startup equipment but i know room acoustics is just as important if not more.

I am trying to figure out the best method for my 8 x 11 game room. It has lots of furniture, vinyl plank floors, and pictures on the walls, so not the most ideal. I will post pictures below so you can get an idea of the layout.

I am trying to decide what to put on the two paper thin doors that are directly behind my recording desk. Acoustic foam panels, or panels like these ATS panels on each door.
YsDQHxpl.jpg

But then i am not sure where to go from there if i need anything else, or if this would be enough. I am disabled and cannot sit, so that is why i have a standup desk and a mattress in there. But i think the mattress might actually help with the floors.

I also was wondering if i should just use an isolation foam shield like the SE in addition to putting some foam panels up, or just the isolation shield by itself since i am only doing spoken word?

Any help is greatly appreciated
E0DMSugl.jpg

JST1QShl.jpg

Last edited:
We don’t like foam much around here ;)

The first thing to do with the doors is to put weather-stripping around the edges and a sweep at the bottom. I’ve not gone any farther than that yet because I’m contemplating solid core doors.

We don’t like foam much around here ;)

The first thing to do with the doors is to put weather-stripping around the edges and a sweep at the bottom. I’ve not gone any farther than that yet because I’m contemplating solid core doors.
Thanks. Yeah the foam seems to be hit or miss. And where i am just doing spoken word, i don't need as intense as a setup as some of the musicians here, so i am hoping to be able to get away with only a little bit of acoustics, but may not be that lucky.

So no foam, but how do people feel about panels like the ATS panels? They aren't foam but instead some type of material called jute? I figured these would help with the doors since they are hollow. Supposably these panels help stop the sound from bouncing around as much.

And i actually already have foam in the door jamb so when it closes it is flush, but i do need to put a sweep at the bottom still.

You've got a lot of hard surfaces there and it depends what you'll be doing - sounds like just recording voice(over) and so treating for amps or even a mixing environment might be more than you need. Still, I'd start with heavy curtains over that window, and maybe some panels interspersed and opposite the framed art. If that wall of posters is not a collectible set, a large block of panels there, even something "artsy" might help. I'd get a couple/few [ceiling] panels for over the area where you'll be working and speaking. Cutting down on early reflections will help with the "in a box" sound.

Yes, generally the more dense panels are going to be more effective than any kind of the foam stuff. There are several companies I've seen online, though I can't vouch for any particular brand as I built my own. Maybe others here have some experience with some of the vendors.

well you're already ahead of the game by acknowledging that you need acoustic treatment.

if you can figure out how to float it above you---attach it to the ceiling, you could minimize impact to your existing set up. And maybe put 1 on the first reflection wall.

Back