Please Help! Basement studio help/ Possibly Garage...?

jacobsen327

Please Help! Basement studio help/ Possibly Garage...? UPDATED

I started building a recording studio in my basement then came across all the forums and now have no idea what to do with my space and money. I know the bigger the better but unfortunately I may not have that option.

Here's my situation:
I don't have a ton of money but am willing to do what I need to do for the foundation to be "right". The last thing i want is to drop money and time just to tear down what i did wrong the first time and redo it later. So I technically have two options but financially believe I only have one option unless people prove me wrong ;).

Option 1: My Small Basement (Less Cost/More Limitations)
Not the ideal size and has its limitations. The whole area I am working with is about 30' x 13'... BUT on one of the far walls has a fireplace that I would like to keep usable and kind of still have a living room space next to it so that shaves a bit off of the space. Also I have one wall sectioning off the room in two parts original idea was to have the smaller portion an iso room for tracking drums, guitars vocals etc. and have the big open room be my mixing room and living room in one. Again after reading a lot on the forums I'm not sure what would be the best way to utilize my space. I am attaching a sketchup file so you can kind of see a rough sketch of my current layout. Also the ceilings are about 8' of workable space (below the studs) Currently its just open with some duct work but no insulation or anything between the basement and the wood floors above. I would like some sort of insulation to block the sound a bit from going through the floor. Possibly a drop ceiling with insulation packed above it? This will make my room height a bit smaller again i know not ideal but something needs to be done with it.

*The picture of my sketchup file is below (It wouldn't let me attach it or place a URL for some reason, so email me if you want the file (jacobsen327@hotmail.com)

Option 2: My Garage (I would think quite a bit more expensive/Less Limitations) UPDATED w/garage size!
I have a fairly large garage approx. 31' X 29' (See illustration below). It currently is just big and open. So thinking of costs to totally structure the garage, not to mention I don't have heat or air running out there which i imagine i would have to do.... Would just finishing my basement be significantly cheaper and still work for me fairly well? I feel like although a bigger project over the long run my garage would be a better investment, but again I would love all feedback! And I would like to keep part of the garage for storage but could use quite a bit for the studio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I want to get going on this asap but definitely want to do the proper research to make it all work the right way!

What would you do in my situation? (Again I don't have a ton of money, but want to do it right and if so take it slow)
If you pick the basement please look at my sketchup file and give me ideas on layout.

P.S. I am planning on doing it all myself so factor out paying for contractors. I will buy the supplies and construct myself.

Thanks,

Ben

basementstudio.jpg

garagelayout.jpg

Last edited:
The garage might be better if it has a ceiling higher than the basement, but the basement probably has less problems with sound leaking in from barking dogs and trucks passing by outdoors. My partner built a fantastic studio in his basement, and you can see it in detail in this video:

The Ultimate Home Studio

I'm sure this video will give you many ideas.

--Ethan

Thanks for the quick response Ethan! And as far as the garage, it is already all insulated so sound leaking isn't too bad as is and definitely higher ceilings. I am bad at appoximating size so I will post the dimensions of my garage when i get home but it is definitely higher ceilings and just much bigger in general. Big enough to where I would probably be able to section off part of the garage for recording and still have a little garage storage room. Doing this would let me further insulate or do whatever needs to be done on the walls i put up.

I will check out that video you posted as well! Thanks!

Back