Please give some advise on studio monitor placement

DaanJM

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum. I'm not really into mixing, but making a lot of music in my student room.
I'm planning to buy some studio monitors, so my guitar sound (Kemper Profiler) is a little more accurately represented in my room. However, I need to do a lot of consessions with regards to monitor & desk placement and I would like some advise from more experienced people.

My room is a small 5.25 x 2.66 x 2.40 (LxWxH) meter student room (17' 25" x 8' 9" x 7' 10"). My desk is placed along one of the long walls right now, see the map:

Current.PNG

Because of the small width of the room, the current placement is certainly not ideal. I came up with two possible alternative placements with the desk along the short walls.

Alternative placement 1:

Alterative 1.PNG

The first is a practical solution for me, but has the disadvantages of the non-centered position of the monitors and the window behind it. Furthermore I could leave some more space between the desk and the window. However, I have no idea of the influence of a window on the sound in the room.

Alternative placement 2:

Alternative 2.PNG

The second proposal is less practical, but I think it is acoustically a lot better. I am not able to completely center the desk because the sink and the door need some room around them too. I'm a bit worried about the speakers being close to the corner. Maybe it's worse here than alternative 1, as the window might leave some bass through, but in fact I really don't know.

It would be great is somebody could give some advise!

Daan.

The last one, at least you don't have a monitor backed into a windowed corner. If you're not mixing it doesn't make that much of a difference anyway.

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys! I would've already guessed this was the best option, altough being the least practical one. I think I'll go with it anyway. It might be best to get the desk out of the corner as much as possible, like this:
Alternative 2 (edit).png
Can anyone please elaborate on the influence of a window? I guess it leaves some bass through but might be extra reflective for the mid and high frequencies? Anyway, I get that a monitor in that corner is a bad idea.

In the end, my setup does not have to be totally accurate in representing the sound, but I really want to avoid totally exaggerated bass. Furthermore, I don't want to put some decent monitors (which I still have to buy) in a horrible place.

You can spend $150 each or $500 each for monitors, but unless you do real acoustic treatment (i.e. bass traps) you won't notice much difference , except volume and frequency response.

You can spend $150 each or $500 each for monitors, but unless you do real acoustic treatment (i.e. bass traps) you won't notice much difference , except volume and frequency response.
True. I wasn't planning on spending real big money on monitors for that reason. I'm interested in the JBL LSR305, so more in the $150,- range per monitor. That's what I meant with "decent monitors".

Back