Planning for a new studio

Enonnaighsoj

hey guys,
planning to build in my basement.
I have a space that is 12x29 with 8ft ceilings. I would ideally like to have a separate control room in this space also. I will be starting from scratch, so I can build the walls and ceiling how ever is best. Any advice would be great, like what kind of framing would be ideal and should I create non parallel walls in this space. Hope to hear responses soon!
Thanks

keep it one room - it will be cramped if you try to have separate spaces.
do a lot of research, put the thought into it beforehand - it is very expensive and time consuming to make things work after the fact. - 10 months ought to see you right.
be prepared to spend real money to make this happen.
don't forget about safety, power, and hvac.
good luck!
Chris

Hello Enonnaighsoj, welcome to the forum.

The best advice I can offer at this point is to post some pictures showing EVERYTHING.
Inside walls, ceiling/wall conditions, floor, stairs, HVAC and ducting, and or anything else
such as laundry tubs/appliances, pipes, windows etc.

Then answer these questions.

Are you buying this home or renting.
What are your isolation goals?
Is this basement completely below ground, or partially.
How close are your nearest neighbors.
What kind of music will you be recording and what SPL do the musicians play at.(Rock drums
typically will measure approx. 110db at one meter.)
Are there any furnaces, or ducting common to the upper floor?
Are there any signs of moisture on the floor or walls?
Where are you located, and what kind of environmental noise
is common on your street or area(is this in the city, subburbs, or out in the country or what)
Is this project a DIY or will you hire contractors?
What is your budget?

Tell us everything you can, as even one small tidbit of relevant information can make a
difference in isolation strategies. Like for instance..any TRAINS adjacent to your house.:D

fitZ:)

Anyway, unless we know EXACTLY what you are dealing with, we can't give you real answers.

Back