Placement and what foam? For studio

Def studios

Hey guys, I'm a amateur film editor and director and producer.

I have a small rom shaped in an L and is roughly 5 meters by 3 meters and where the outlet is for the l instead of 3 probably 4.

My studio gear is setup there the ceiling is 2.5 meters high

I really need to know where and what foam is best for this room it's extreamly Echo-y
And makes a massive pinging Josue when u clap. I'd really appreciate any help thanks

As for placement, if you don't have the budget to do a big amount of work with, then just put the foam behind you.

It's sort of ideal, if not conventional to do it this way, although foam can be placed anywhere you see fit.

What are you doing in the room - mixing only? Music?

Foam absorbs only the highs. Properly constructed bass traps (full frequency absorbers) is most likely what you need - google them.

Yeah I looked at bass traps do they sit on the same level as your speakers or in the corners?

And I'm mixing in the room

The general starting point for an average rectangular mixing room is to trap all of the 4 corners floor-to-ceiling. Broadband absorbers at all of the first reflection points between your mixing position and your monitors (side walls, rear wall, ceiling). That's a good start, and will make a noticeable difference in the response of your room. From there, it's addressing more specific problems with your room in particular. For the most part, in a small room you can't have enough bass trapping. Bass will be 90% of your issues. You don't necessarily want broadband absorption everywhere, or else you'll deaden the room beyond comfort. Start with the corners and first reflection points (google the "mirror trick" for placement). Any wall-wall, wall-ceiling, or wall-floor junction you can trap, then great. But you still have to be able to fit yourself and your gear in the room, so there's a point of diminishing returns.

Back