Pics of My Studio Conception to Finish

What Do You Think of My Humble Setup?

• Total voters
Between me and my uncle, we wired the building the best way we knew how. Look Oshman, I can take a little constructive criticism, but your post is borderline insulting. I do not claim to know electrical wiring do's and dont's, and the reason for the pics was not to show off my obvious lack of electrical engineering skills, but to show how hard we all worked at making my little dream a reality. And yes, it is insured, and in Florida any building less than 500 square feet does not require an electrical permit, so it will be covered in the event my piss poor job at wiring results in an electrical fire. Now back to posting those pics!

Brian probably could have put it a bit more civilly, but he has a point there. You'll want to be *very* sure that your electrical work is sound both for quality audio and for safety. Though I can definitely do my own electrical work, I usually sub that out just to be sure that it'll be done correctly.

Frank

I agree with you Frank. I mean, I wasn't going to respond to him by saying, "You know I wondered about the grounding issues myself.." or "I questioned whether or not we should have installed as many outlets as we did", but the truth is I didn't know anything about electrical wiring and used several different resources to get where I got, and my uncle, who I think knows everything anyway, helped me with the wiring, and in all actuality he did it all. I simply ran the wires and drilled the holes. Truly, I can take constructive criticism, as a matter of fact I welcome it because I do want everything to be perfect. I didn't mean to sound so defensive, it simply struck me the wrong way. At any rate, the work has been done with no issues so far. Also, we are only using a small fraction of the outlets, they are really there for convenience should I do some moving around later. Oh, and on a final note, I am positive that the ground and neutral are not bonded, they are on separate posts; that's just the way it looks in the pics... :)

Good job!

SG,

I've been following this thread from the beginning. I've enjoyed the trip. Thank you!

A couple of observations and then a couple of questions.

First, your studio looks very nice. Love the color scheme. I'm glad to see you put in plenty of electrical outlets. And at a more user friendly height. One of my pet peeves is never having enough outlets. Why do/did people build and put so few outlets in a room? I live in a very old house and hate the fact that there are so few outlets in the entire house!

Questions: Just out of curiosity, what's the reason for the exhaust fan?
The hole around the air conditioner is somewhat larger than the unit, what was your reasoning for that? I like how you finished it, by the way!
The video monitor above the piano, how is that used? is it hooked up to the computer?

Just curious,

Joel, Studio 52

nice

i am just starting this process for myself(only for hobby though). hope it will turn out as well as yours did. ::)

Thanks!

SG,

Questions: Just out of curiosity, what's the reason for the exhaust fan?
The hole around the air conditioner is somewhat larger than the unit, what was your reasoning for that? I like how you finished it, by the way!
The video monitor above the piano, how is that used? is it hooked up to the computer?

Joel, Studio 52

Thanks Joel, I am glad you like it! To answer your questions, the "exhaust" fan blows cool air into my PC and Network room. Not ultra efficient by any means, but it works.

The monitor in the recording booth above the piano is so I can monitor and control the mix while I record myself. It is simply a clone of what is going on at my recording desktop. It keeps me from having to get up and go to the mixing desk every time I make a booboo! I learned this the hard way when recording lots of acoustic guitar tracks. I use a wireless mouse and keyboard to achieve this. It works great, and I love it! As far as the rain is concerned, I can only hear it when it pours- and that is a blessing. The only thing my booth lacks is a solid core door to completely block all noise from the control room.

Again, I appreciate the kudos, and when I get the control completely finished I will upload more pics. It looks especially nice now with my prized guitar mounted on the wall with several autographs from some of the greatest country voices of our time!

Well done!

So when do we get to hear a recording? Do you like the sound of the control room?

Best of luck with it! Eric

Thanks Erock- I am actually in the process of troubleshooting my damn old program Cubase VST 32 with my Tascam DAW. I think I have narrowed it down to being Windows XP with service pack 2, so I am rolling back to Win 2000 pro- which was what is was made for in the first place. Recordings should be ready in a couple of weeks!

Well done!

So when do we get to hear a recording? Do you like the sound of the control room?

Best of luck with it! Eric

I do like the sound of the control room. Of course, it is smaller than I should have made it. I wish I'd extended it out about 4 more feet, making it a 10 x 16 room, and thus making the control room a little smaller and not a near perfect box which is what it is now. It is nice and quiet though, and like I said before you can only hear it rain when it is *really* coming down...

Between me and my uncle, we wired the building the best way we knew how. Look Oshman, I can take a little constructive criticism, but your post is borderline insulting. I do not claim to know electrical wiring do's and dont's, and the reason for the pics was not to show off my obvious lack of electrical engineering skills, but to show how hard we all worked at making my little dream a reality. And yes, it is insured, and in Florida any building less than 500 square feet does not require an electrical permit, so it will be covered in the event my piss poor job at wiring results in an electrical fire. Now back to posting those pics!

Well I'm sorry if you are insulted but if you don't have a clue about electric then you don't do it, period. More than it starting a fire is that someone can die from it. Poor grounding and other obvious code violations that you pictured are a big problem but since you completed it that way and sealed it up and the township doesn't require a permit doesn't make it less hazardous.

My post was to inform you that there were problems and to also state other things that should be done that either I could not see but would assume that they were overlooked by the state of the job that was pictured.

After all, isn't the point of this forum to help people get it right? Well you didn't as far as the electric is concerned and I just pointed it out to you. Electric is something that you don't mess with if you don't know what you are doing and quite frankly, you posted the pictures and since I am an electrician I could see obvious violations and questioned the integrity of your work, not to bash you, but to be straight forward about it for your own safety and your own good.

You obviously know how to build and did a great job at the rest but you should stick to that and not take on projects that you know little or nothing about and create a dangerous situation.

I did say before that the build out was nice but you were too busy being offended by the truth to read that I guess.

I don't know what you mean... but okay!

I think darrin_h2000 was referring to the word "conception" in the thread title - that was my first impression of the thread too... shows you where my head's at!

Nice work!

Thinking out loud:
You might try and turn your monitors on their sides so that the tweeters are on the far left and right... I saw somebody do that a long time ago, tried it and like it.
At some point you will run into a musician who is also an electrician... get someone like that to look at the electrical if you're not 100% sure of it. I'd use it's own ground rod for the panel, not just use the ground from wherever you ran the electrical in from.
Just add up the amps used by your stuff and make sure your fuses can handle the load.

...Why do/did people build and put so few outlets in a room? I live in a very old house and hate the fact that there are so few outlets in the entire house! ...

It is frustrating.
My guess is it's because back in the 50's, the average house had one tv, a toaster and a record player. Growing up we had one phone - the black one that never broke. In the last 20 years I've probably had 25 phones.

A side note, regarding ac/heating:
I've read that if you go down 6' it's always pretty much the same temperature - something like 50 or 60˚F. I've read that you can bury a long metal hose, like 50' of 10" corrugated metal or something, pump air in one end and it comes out cool on the other end for ac in the summer. And supposedly you can use it to warm places up in the winter.

Last edited:
Who did the hack electrical work? No staples on the boxes, no connectors on the branch circuits at the service, no separate neutral and ground bar for sub panel. Neutral and ground cannot be bonded at a sub panel. Is that romex inside pipe as a service feeder?

Did you use wire nuts on the grounds in the outlet boxes? Are all metal boxes grounded? Did you install a ground rod outside the building? Did you bond the structure? (since it is a metal building) No use of nail plates on any of the drilled studs.

Looks like more than 8 outlet boxes per circuit too. That is a lot of outlets for only two 20 amp home runs.

I hope your fire insurance is paid up but they won't cover work like that.

The rest is cool though.

Well I'm sorry if you are insulted

Really? You call it "hack work," go on a rambling list of everything he did wrong, and then give him a sarcastic "sorry if you were insulted." WTF?

My post was to inform you that there were problems and to also state other things that should be done that either I could not see but would assume that they were overlooked by the state of the job that was pictured.

After all, isn't the point of this forum to help people get it right? Well you didn't as far as the electric is concerned and I just pointed it out to you. Electric is something that you don't mess with if you don't know what you are doing and quite frankly, you posted the pictures and since I am an electrician I could see obvious violations and questioned the integrity of your work.

If you are concerned with someones saftey, there are a lot better ways to put. You don't offer any concern; just sarcasm and berating comments. If you're goal were simply to "inform" him "that there were problems" you could have done that in a PM. This place IS to help people "get it right" but that doesn't mean you should chastize them when they don't. So if this is your brand of "help" then as far as I'm concerned you can take it, along with your electrician's permit, and go fuck yourself.

Really? You call it "hack work," go on a rambling list of everything he did wrong, and then give him a sarcastic "sorry if you were insulted." WTF?

If you are concerned with someones saftey, there are a lot better ways to put. You don't offer any concern; just sarcasm and berating comments. If you're goal were simply to "inform" him "that there were problems" you could have done that in a PM. This place IS to help people "get it right" but that doesn't mean you should chastize them when they don't. So if this is your brand of "help" then as far as I'm concerned you can take it, along with your electrician's permit, and go fuck yourself.

Listen a$$wipe, you must be blind or something because my post is not berating in the slightest but it does specifically lay out obvious problems that are evident in the photos that are code violations and can also lead to a hazardous condition. That is direct concern for safety. I brought it to his attention. Now he knows. If he choses to do nothing about it and the place burns down or someone gets hurt then what are you going to say?

There is no margin for error in certain things. It is not chastising him for getting it wrong, it is informing him to make sure it is right. It is not like hanging a picture crooked, there are more serious consequences if there is failure.

As far as taking it to a PM, the photos were made public and there are some that will just look at that and think that that is the way to do it so they need to know that what they see is incorrect.

I had mentioned something to someone else here about using a chimney for an exhaust vent and it was not clarified in his post that the chimney was abandoned and no longer used for a furnace. I had said something so that others that see and read the thread don't get the idea that they can pop a hole in their existing in use chimney and use it for a vent and wake up to find their whole family dead from carbon monoxide poisoning.

It wasn't a dig but things that need to be taken seriously don't get sugar coated. You are not children, don't take offense. Make sure that everything you do is done correctly. If you are going to present work like that then expect to be called out for it.

If you saw my post as berating and sarcastic then you must have a slit between your legs, and fuck you too for the neg reps. Grow some balls.
1928_middle_finger.gif

Brian, I understand your concern. Electricity is not something to mess with. Being an electrician, you understand the risk and possibly FATAL results of improper wiring and grounding. Those points should not be ignored because of the way that message was perceived or delivered.

Genocide, if you get past Brian's "delivery" his points are valid and the threat to your safety and anyone else who works in your studio needs to be seriously considered.

Not everyone has a gift for subtlety. Brian's annoyance (which was very evident in his comments) was a direct result of his knowledge that someone (including you) could get killed while using your studio.

If you want to look at the "glass half-full", be thankful someone who was knowledgeable saw the problems and made you aware of them before something bad happened.

To everyone else, this is serious business folks. Even if the message was delivered in a huff. It's better to be safe, than sorry studiogenocide burned himself up in his awesome new studio.

Well said, Newbie. As an innocent bystander, all I can say is that here, in the UK, it is actually illegal for anyone to install their own electrics unless they are a qualified electrician. That is because (on our 240v) incorrect installations can at best damage your equipment and at worst, injure or kill. You can get round it by getting it checked by a professional, before it goes live.

I'm sure if Mr. Oshman is anything like the rest of us, he'd much prefer that you felt insulted than to keep stuum - then have to read of a guy's death or injury, due to something he could have prevented by piping up.

I'd like to take this opportunity to commend you on the rest of your efforts so far. It's most impressive and even if you've fallen short on the electrics, at least you tried but you can learn from that. When that's corrected, you can still know that you built it yourself and of that you can be proud.

Kind regards

Doctor V

PS
Funny how things go. A man's sight was saved because an eye surgeon, visiting an art exhibition, saw something in a photorealist painting. It was of the artist's father in law. The painting was so realistic, the surgeon was able to alert the artist to his father's condition and have it halted before it could permanently blind him.

Back