Pics of My Studio Conception to Finish

What Do You Think of My Humble Setup?

• Total voters
SG...ya already brought up what I was gonna bring up...:D

First was the fluorescent lighting...I had those in my room and found some low end yuck. I ended up just bringing in some lamps and leavin em off.

You covered the bass traps I was gonna mention too. Cool. Did ya put a cloud over your desk or do ya need it?

The other thing was your monitors. They seem a bit too close. How do they sound to you?

Those are nits man. Nice job...nice room. ;)

Oh Lord, I could nitpick my own stuff to death dude, so its quite alright! :) The auralex did wonders for the ringing in the room. I can definitely see where you can use too much of this stuff though. Its amazing how the stuff makes the room just sound different, even when nothing is going on. Its simply.. quieter.. Don't know any other way to explain it.

The bass traps are a must now. I could not hear the LF problem before due to the outrageous ringing that took place. Now I can. And it does not need much treatment, so that is a good thing.

No ground loop problems, intereference, or any noise getting through on my gear. It is great. I track with the lights on, and mix with them as well. They are very quiet.

As far as the monitors go, I kick my chair back a couple feet when I listen to the mix. They are too close where they sit, and soon I will buy stands and put them behind my desk, where they wioll prob be perfect. So good spot on that.

I'll try to post some new pics soon of the treatment, It looks great and sounds amazing. Ringing be gone!!!

damn... that's a dream for me.. right now my studio is in my "living room" i live in an apartment in the city, so theres not much I can do right now. that's freakin awesome man.. congrats! Is it all done?

Well keep on dreamin dude, eventually it will come to pass. Yiou just have to want it bad enough. It took me 12 long years to get what I got, and it was well worth the wait!

Nice place actually :-) I have always dreamed of getting my own building for my recording studio. Thumbs up.

I am not an electrician (although my grandfather was) but I do my own electrical work.

Codes do exist for a reason and (especially) due to the fact that this is a structure that looks like it has limited doorways/windows I would honestly tear out the walls and rewire the building.

While I understand the TS was upset with the message, I am quite shocked that someone like your uncle (who retired as a chief engineer in the merchant marines handling voltages that exceeded 1000 volts) would do that kind of work.

When I built my studio I hired the electric company and an electrician to come and setup metered service to the building and I ran all my own outlets and wiring. I installed 20 Amp service and ran several lines. One in the control room to my console/outboard, one to my computer/tape machine room and three to the main live room (I have several outlets for amplifiers and other high current devices.

I also put the lights for the whole place on their own lines.

What I did was figure out the draw/amps of the equipment I had and over spec'd everything so that if I buy more gear I have dedicated lines to run things on. While wiring to code is great, the cost associated with going above code is so small when you're wiring yourself that I decided to go heavyt duty on the wiring with multiple lines that would be far above what I would ever use. I drew out my wiring plans and consulted with the electrician that setup the service and then called the building inspector to approve everything before I did my drywall. It was not a big deal and the inspector signed off on everything.

While it was a slight PITA to get them down there I can sleep well at night knowing everything is safe. The scary thing is that if you sell the property the new owner will not know how the system is wired and may get hurt in the room. The last thing you want is a fire. You can also end up damaging equipment, etc....

Good pics. Makes me want to build a house again...

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics of the project. All the best with the venture.

Chris

A side note, regarding ac/heating:
I've read that if you go down 6' it's always pretty much the same temperature - something like 50 or 60˚F. I've read that you can bury a long metal hose, like 50' of 10" corrugated metal or something, pump air in one end and it comes out cool on the other end for ac in the summer. And supposedly you can use it to warm places up in the winter.

That's called "geothermal dynamics" and is a valid concept depening on your climate zone and how much effort you can afford to pour into it. The Department of Energy has some relly good info on it, google "DOE EERE" and explore the website for further

Back