pics of my humble home studio

RueMorgueRecord

well here is a few before and after i just altered my existing desk. i don't roll with anything flashy, i am barebones and put what i can into it, but here it is!

Attachments

• 100_0575.jpg
    100_0575.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 245
  • 100_0576.jpg
    100_0576.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 100_1017.jpg
    100_1017.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 100_1018.jpg
    100_1018.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 236
more

more of the studio. these have the before desk ordeal. the above have pics of the first run of the lwbga cd.

Attachments

• 100_1019.jpg
    100_1019.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 100_1021.jpg
    100_1021.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 231
  • 100_1022.jpg
    100_1022.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 230
  • PICT0010.jpg
    PICT0010.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 228
Cool n comfortable. ;)

One of those rooms that just gets the creative juices flowin.

Ya got any plans for room treatment?
And I like the light underneath (pondering somethin similar) but was wondering if it's flourescent. Can't really tell but if so, do ya have any hums or frequency issues from it?
If not, disregard and finish yer beer. It's gettin warm. :D

Props dude.

indeed

Cool n comfortable. ;)

One of those rooms that just gets the creative juices flowin.

Ya got any plans for room treatment?
And I like the light underneath (pondering somethin similar) but was wondering if it's flourescent. Can't really tell but if so, do ya have any hums or frequency issues from it?
If not, disregard and finish yer beer. It's gettin warm. :D

Props dude.

i try to keep it comfy and be laid back so when i track people, usually ones who never have, they feel comfy and can just do their thing!

as far as treatments i do things one at a time when i get the loot to. always minor stuff but step at a time... i actually plan to just keep going that route till i have my own home, which i already have mapped out the basement for to make a full on studio, control room, drum room, etc... so till i get there i just work with this and make it work.

the light was a ten dollar deal at lowes, and havent tracked with it yet, just did desk mod hour ago, but suprisingly i dont get interference in mics from all the other things pulling juice in the room so far. but i may with that and have to have it off. it was mainly implemented in my design just so i can change any values on board if needed at night since it sits tucked away under the ledge i made. wont use it constantly by any means but a tool i figured to throw into it for the just in cases.

and i did finish that beer and a couple more, always having a good time! cheers!

Just one quick question, how do you hook up an 18 channel mixer to the mbox 2?

Not being smart or anything, just curious :D

simple

Just one quick question, how do you hook up an 18 channel mixer to the mbox 2?

Not being smart or anything, just curious :D

main l/r out into the mbox 2 . each side to its own input on the mbox. then when i go into a session i make stereo tracks instead of mono utlizing as much of both pieces of hardware as i can. unfortunately i just figured that one out, the horrid ordeal tracks with my old board i went l/r main out on board to a y splitter into input one on mbox into mono tracks. and the guitar player on input 2. but that is how i have and now do it. the new way works nicely and cant wait to start on next cd. hope that sums it up.

ok minus the lava lamp thing, and thanks chili. we are no hippies! but what exactly are you guys meaning by treatments and for 150 diy.

A small box shaped room is about the worst place for mixing. My studio is nearly a cube and without any treatment sounds horrible. This shows up in your mixes when it doesn't translate to other systems. You dial in what you think is good, then burn it to a cd, ipod, whatever and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good on other systems. Bass is booming or non existent, too much mud, maybe not enough high end.

The fix is to acoustically treat your room so it has a flat response across the audio spectrum. More importantly, the low end freqs. Lots of discussions on how to treat a room in the Studio Build section.

The most commonly recommended method on this site is to use Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass board and make panels yourself. I was suggesting that you could adequately treat your room for about $150. It is probably the biggest bang for the buck to getting a good mix.

main l/r out into the mbox 2 . each side to its own input on the mbox. then when i go into a session i make stereo tracks instead of mono utlizing as much of both pieces of hardware as i can. unfortunately i just figured that one out, the horrid ordeal tracks with my old board i went l/r main out on board to a y splitter into input one on mbox into mono tracks. and the guitar player on input 2. but that is how i have and now do it. the new way works nicely and cant wait to start on next cd. hope that sums it up.

I thought that was the plan alright, just thought you might have figured out a
magic way to record more than two tracks into the mbox at the same time :rolleyes:

So what kind of situations would you use more than 2 inputs? I'm guessing if
you were recording drums that you'd have to mix before it goes in? Either way
I'm sure the preamps are handy compared to the shitty mbox ones :D

Once again, purely out of curiousity :)

ok minus the lava lamp thing, and thanks chili. we are no hippies! but what exactly are you guys meaning by treatments and for 150 diy.

Chili already hit it pretty well. Here's a list of things to think about to get you started:

• Make sure you setup so that you’re firing down the longest dimension of the room.
• Your head should be placed 38% of the way into the room, centered between the left and right walls
• Your head should also be located at the tip of an equilateral triangle with your speakers. Start at a 5’ width and go from there.
• Use at least 4” bass trapping in all the corners, floor to ceiling if possible.
• Use 4” or 6” bass traps on the back wall; the thicker the better basically.
• Use 4” panels behind the speakers on the front wall
The reflection points to the right, left and above your head can be treated with either 2” or 4” panels. I prefer 4” panels personally; you can never really overdo bass trapping.

Frank

thanks guys

i will unfortunately probably keep it about where i got it now ,for now, till i get the house where i can make the whole basement into a studio. and minus the bass traps i got everything else setup just about right to what your saying. as far as placement , where i monitor, where the rig is, etc. very good input though if i ever do decide to 'seal' off the room i will come to this post and go by that for sure!

i will unfortunately probably keep it about where i got it now ,for now, till i get the house where i can make the whole basement into a studio. and minus the bass traps i got everything else setup just about right to what your saying. as far as placement , where i monitor, where the rig is, etc. very good input though if i ever do decide to 'seal' off the room i will come to this post and go by that for sure!

Hey Rue, just to clarify a common misconception. You're not sealing off a room, as in this is sound isolation. If sound gets out before you treat, it will still get out after you treat. Sound isolation and room treatment are two different things.

And thanks to Frank for the added info. all good stuff.

peace.

Just looking at that High Life makes me thirsty. Champagne of fucking BEERS!

Back