Paging: Ethan Winer

Rich Smith

Ethan,

Would you please address 45-degree sloping ceilings?

I have a 45-degree A-frame room, 12'x24'. The roof ridge is centered 12' above the floor and runs parallel with the 12' room ends. The sheetrock ceiling/walls slope down at 45-degrees from ridge to the floor. The floor is fully carpeted. The A-shaped vertical sidewalls are 24' at floor level. One 24' sidewall is soft cedar paneled with 2-doors (hard). The opposing 24' vertical sidewall is sheetrock with one 4'x5' window in the middle.

I'm a little unsure about monitor placement for recording. It seems to me that I should simply ignore the sloping ceiling and set the room up conventionally "as if" all walls were vertical and the celing were flat. Then, it seems most of the sound would take just one bounce against the 45-degree ceiling and die in the carpeting.... and this would be a good thing. Do you agree? Am I missing something?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Rich Smith

Without a drawing or photos it's tough for me to envision which way your room's ceiling goes. My general advice is to have the speakers fire the longer way down the room as explained here:

How to set up a room

I also suggest absorption under a ceiling peak to avoid focusing the sound that otherwise occurs. The photo below shows how I treated the 12' peak in my home studio.

--Ethan

ceiling_traps.jpg

Thanks Ethan!

I can see by your photo what I'll need to do. (Sorry I couldn't post mine.)
My sloped ceilings are much steeper and go all the way to the floor, but I can see that it's generally best to stop the reflection at first hit and prevent the bounce.

Rich Smith

Back