Outhouse building conversion, help needed!

Dannydarker

Hi!

Im in need of some guidance so I can keep my neighbours happy by keeping sound levels down.

im going to be using my outhouse to master and mix on studio monitors. I would like to know what the best treatment for this would be.

This is a small detached building.

floor area is 10x6 ft
Height is 7.5 ft

The building is 2 bricks deep and has a concrete floor and ceiling.

I've thought about a floating room but not sure if this will be overkill and take up precious space.

If there's any advice anyone can give it would be greatly appreciated!

I've attacheed some photos of the building of it helps.

Thanks for your time

Dan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 79
All noise reduction does not have to be internal. A well designed external fence (2 layers with absorption between) can cut the amount of sound that goes to the neighbors.
AFA floating inside a very small space, probably not. 6x10x7.5 is probably smaller than you want for adequate listening, but this is HR: We do what we must with what we have! :)

because the space is so small, you don't want to make it any smaller, one good thing about this is that concrete is ideal sound isolation material, it's a shame the walls aren't concrete too, it's one of the best materials for blocking sound. I would just keep it how it is and make the most of what you have got, it isn't ideal but it might work.

You're going to need corner bass traps/superchunks, ceiling cloud trap, side and back wall absorption - otherwise it is going to be a harsh reverby- mess for mixing.
At typical volumes for mixing, the brick walls should provide adequate isolation - you'll need to make rockwool inserts for the windows, and definitely replace the door with a solid one.

Last edited:
You're going to need corner bass traps/superchunks, ceiling cloud trap, side and back wall absorption - otherwise it is cgoing to be a harsh reverby- mess for mixing.
At typical volumes for mixing, the brick walls should provide adequate isolation - you'll need to make rockwool inserts for the windows, and definitely replace the door with a solid one.

agree!

building a double door would be a good idea too to stop sound, it's probably the weakest link.

Back