Ordered 703 now what to do with it

Pahtcub

So i ordered 12 2x4 2" 703 sheets and was going to make 6 4" broadband/bass trap hybrids what should I do with these things? Maybe do a few 2" broadband and some 4" traps? The information available is confusing as everyone has an opinion. These will be hung like pictures as I am renting right now, what would you do? Is it right to spread out in more 2" panels or just make 6 4"? The room is roughly 12x12 feet and carpeted with a sliding glass door covering one wall.

What are you doing in the room? Tracking...what? Mixing...what's the layout and desk position? The answers to those questions will solve the riddle.

I will be tracking vocals and mixing mostly possibly reamping a track occasionally. The desk is about 2 inches away from the wall centered. It is a square room with a two foot pigtail hallway. The walls have a very bumpy texture on them which I'm guessing acts like a diffuser to some extent. Any other info that will help please ask.

Two 4" thick directly behind the mix position - the wall behind you. Two 2" thick on the wall in front of you. One 2" thick lengthwise on each wall to the side with the front edge at about your ear position. Two 2" thick overhead centered on your head running lengthwise with the room dimension.

Front and back walls split the two absorbers across the middle 2/3rds of the space ie; 12 foot span, place the absorbers outside edges at 2.5 feet from the side wall. You will have four feet of absorption in the middle seven feet of wall. Alternatively - or better yet buy another bundle - straddle the corners front back side wall/ceiling.

Yeah might get 12 more after this but this was supposed to be sub $600 and it's at $200 just for the insulation without fabric or wood

Yeah might get 12 more after this but this was supposed to be sub $600 and it's at $200 just for the insulation without fabric or wood
Shit ain't cheap but if you make it yerself out of the right stuff it works just fine. Just go in stages.

Well you could just use the 703 for your bass traps for the 4 corners, then order some Roxul from lowes for $50 (or call and see if they have it at your local store), that would be more than enough to cover the reflection points of your room. No point in spending the money on OC703 (in my opinion) if you're just using it for treating reflections. There are much cheaper alternatives.

Check out local neighborhood developments for wood (2x4 galore), they throw away anything extra, just ask before taking anything to make sure they're not going to be using it. I've never payed for wood, I always get anything I need from the scraps they throw out.

Fabric wise, go to hanncocks or some similar store. You just need a breathable material. I used a cotton satin for mine, has a nice shine to it and looks good, lot of people use burlap as well. Just bland cotton is pretty cheap though.

Ordered 24 more so now I will have 36 2 inch panels all together. So now I guess I will fill all the corners

I got your PM. Lou and Hair are already giving you good advice! I agree more bass traps can only help, especially in a room that size and shape. You don't need to cover every inch of surface with absorption, but be sure you cover the loudspeaker reflection points on the side walls and ceilings. This will help:

How to set up a room
Early Reflections

--Ethan

Made my first 6 4" 703 panels and dispersed them around behind the listener and so far it's pretty cool to hear the difference, can't wait to get the other 24 and make this place look like a padded psych ward!

12 more 4" panels coming soon...in shipping now, also a nice pic of my new Rode K2, next will be better non ported monitors and a monitor switcher.

Attachments

• IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
You may have some symmetry issues with reflections off the slider. A free-standing portable absorber you could put in front of it may help when doing critical listening. With what you have already the room should sound much better.

Picked up an isa one, K2, and monitor station, this $600 weekend project isn't going very well!:-) Already spent $600 on insulation alone. Interestingly though while setting levels via pink noise generator for monitor station my right monitor (closest to the glass door was about 5db lower SPL wise measured at arms length with a decent spl meter at mixing position.

Just 4 more panels to mount on ceiling when I get back from beach....man K2 +ISA one + adam A7X sound awesome even without ceiling treatment pics when I get back from beach in two weeks...wish my fair ass luck!:-)

Back