Order of Materials in "Room within a room" design

geraci89

Hi everyone, we've been strongly considering finishing our basement lately and I want to have a room dedicated to my instruments that'll at least block MOST of the sound out. On the inside I wouldn't go too crazy with internal design as if we sell the house I want the room to be convenient to use as a home theatre or whatever.

Im aware of the pros of a "room within a room" design. The only thing I can't figure out just yet is which way is the best way to design things like:

How much of a gap between walls should I leave?
At what part of the construction of the walls should the fibreglass/rigid fibreglass be stuffed in?

I've seen quite a few different set ups where the fibreglass was between the studs of the outer wall, some where it is in the middle attached to the inside of the outerwall which is drywalled.

I just wanted to see if you guys had any special preference or rules of thumb to go by.

I want to do it right, but I also don't want to spend any more money than I need to! lol

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks! :D

Thats cool, but I don't think the answer Im looking for is in there. I was looking for more of an xray type idea of how the room within a room is built and which materials are placed at what points between the walls (ie. insulation,drywall, double drywall) Just seeing if theres any specific order that they should be placed in.

Thats cool, but I don't think the answer Im looking for is in there. I was looking for more of an xray type idea of how the room within a room is built and which materials are placed at what points between the walls (ie. insulation,drywall, double drywall) Just seeing if theres any specific order that they should be placed in.
Right. I am sure a web search will turn up something. My point was that room-in-a-room may be excessive for what you need. To do it right is very expensive and involves a lot more than just knowing where to place the insulation. If you don't go the full-on serious route you will just be wasting space as a less than serious room-in-a-room will be hardly more "soundproof" than what WhiteStrat built - just smaller.

I built a vocal isolation booth for voiceover work, not a band. The interior measurements are 4' x 5'. I built the wall and roof frames with 2x6 bases and 2x4 studs alternating sides (but not touching both sides). Hung 2ea x 3/4" drywall on the exterior and a single layer on the inside.
I did not have rigid board, so I stuffed rock wool in the walls, weaving it through the alternating studs. Made the door the same way.

It works very well for isolation.

Good luck!
Mike

Mike Booth Pic.jpg
Mike Booth Pic.jpg

Attachments

• Studio 2A 2.jpg
    Studio 2A 2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 81
Right. I am sure a web search will turn up something. My point was that room-in-a-room may be excessive for what you need. To do it right is very expensive and involves a lot more than just knowing where to place the insulation. If you don't go the full-on serious route you will just be wasting space as a less than serious room-in-a-room will be hardly more "soundproof" than what WhiteStrat built - just smaller.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah I don't really have much to compare to. I wouldn't exactly be needing anything that'll allow me to play the drums at 2 am while everyone sleeps, but perhaps get it to a level where its not blaring on the main level of the house and not audible outside.

Do you guys recommend things like the "genie clip" system or something like it, where it has the drywall mounted to rails??

Anything that will provide some vibration isolation is a good thing. Clips, green glue, etc... The ceiling will be a particular point of interest and if you have warm-air heating/AC ducts they will need some thought.

Check out John Sayers' forum if you haven't already.

Cheers Mike!

Would you by chance have the build plans for your booth? And if so would you be willing to share them? I'm planning to build a booth in my basement for sax practice but would like to reuse an existing plan and not have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks in advance!

Fabricio

I built a vocal isolation booth for voiceover work, not a band. The interior measurements are 4' x 5'. I built the wall and roof frames with 2x6 bases and 2x4 studs alternating sides (but not touching both sides). Hung 2ea x 3/4" drywall on the exterior and a single layer on the inside.
I did not have rigid board, so I stuffed rock wool in the walls, weaving it through the alternating studs. Made the door the same way.

How did you hang the door? (i.e. what kind of hinges did you use to hold up that massive drywall block?) I want to make a 4x6x7 practice booth like that...

Back