Open to suggestion - New studio build

I don't know If I would have my mix room as small as 10x10. From what I understand you would be much better off keeping it all one room. Acoustics would be much better int he larger space.

I agree. One question I have is ...What is the author recording? Himself? Other solo artists? Bands? This alone will tell me something.

JF,

Do this if you can: (attached image)

View attachment 70939

This setup would work better acoustically but will be worse for access. You may want to look at other options for entry, stairs, etc. Or re-orient the studio working area completely. Doors in corners is not a good idea and ceiling height is a serious issue.

Cheers,
John

%*&*&^)+)_@#%^)&&^&%$*(*!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 70947View attachment 70946
I'll try again but it's pissing me off.
:cursing: Me too John. This site attachment process is a pain in the ass. It defies logic.:facepalm: Not only that, but the servers are slow, and bandwidth for attachments are low. Frankly, you'd think that with all the ad's that appear here, they could afford to upgrade this site. Ever since it was taken over by corporate interests, it changed...for the WORSE.:mad: ...which is typical. :rolleyes:

Ok John, back to the subject at hand.:D I probably won't post on this thread again until the author replies. But I was wondering something. I tried to use your Mode calculator, but I don't have Excel. Take a look here.(that is if I can get a damn attachment to work:facepalm:)...

Coleymusic Area of concern.jpg

nevermind....
:facepalm::cursing::mad:

Tried to upload three attachments. Only ONE worked....:wtf::rolleyes: yea...I'm getting pissed off too. Fuck it. Talk to you later.

Argh, yeah, these files aren't workign for me either..
Sorry for being absent for a while. If it's any consolation, my wife complains of the same thing... I wrote the "soundtrack" for the school play, and de facto am on stage for half the thing, which means I'm getting out of school pretty late at night. And opening night is when we're breaking ground on the new house. Boo... we just got our quotes as well, and I'm a little freaked by overall costs...

OK.

So the basement would be 8feet high. It looks like finishing it won't be possible this summer, unless my drummer invests in the project as well, but I can make all the decisions that will allow us to build next year. It will be left open for essentially my personal use for now (that and storage). So I might be lifting a few moving blankets for baffles in May hahaha.

The primary use will be me coming downstairs to record. However, in my current studio, before kids, I used to produce bands as well as my own work. But it's across town, and with work, getting there is much harder. I may start scheduling sessions with other acts now that I would have more latitude with scheduling... I see how recording with the desk in the live room would make MY life easier. I don't know how this can affect takes if I have to adjust during takes, or sit in a squeaky chair (I have my grandfather's old office chair - he was a phenomenal musician, played with Glen Miller, etc..). I guess eventually, a seperation could be built, so this could be a way to save on costs, and maybe put up that wall this summer?...

Looking forward to hearing your take on this, and maybe seeing what John had suggested hahahaha. Sorry for the delay, by the way.

Well, I had a very long reply already written...but when I tried to post the pics with it..ARRRRRGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR...it LOCKED UP...and I lost the reply.:mad::mad::mad::cursing::rolleyes:

No time to retype it now. I'll be back later to explain. In the meantime...I'LL BE DAMNED..the attachment manager WORKED!!:facepalm:
Ok, take a look. What this says is...the Live room door(at least in the available space and as per Johns recommendation)will DICTATE the length of the Live room..which in turn will kind of dictate the space available for a CR. Forget the third room.

View attachment 70977
The reason is shown below...ie...SCALE. When you look at simple plans, you really can't see the SCALE of the room vs a human. Hence:

Coleymusic Area of concern Preliminary 2.jpg

I'll be back with more.

Attachments

• Coleymusic Area of concern Preliminary 1.jpg
    Coleymusic Area of concern Preliminary 1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Yea, I'll be back with more.....more:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This goddamned Attachment Manager is the most fucked up, irritating, stupid, redundant, moronic piece of Webmastering bullshit I've ever encountered on the entire Web!!:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

For some godforsaken reason..it posted the pictures....ass BACKWARDS. The second picture should have been in the first place, and the first pic should have been in the second place.:facepalm:

goooodgrief......and once they're there...YOU CAN"t MOVE THEM..and...you can't CANCEL the upload thingy...arrrrrrrrgggggggggrrrrrrr...took me three attemps just to load these...and then they come up BACKWARDS............sheeeeeezushchrist!!!

There is a recent issue with the server, regarding image posting. The techs are working on it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jimmy

Hey guys, sorry for the little rant. I haven't got much time as it is, and when it gets wasted...well, it really pisses me off. Anyway...I've calmed down now. :D

Ok, the tech's are working on it. I just hope they can make this process EASIER. The way it is now..well, it leaves a lot to be desired. :facepalm:

Great work Fitz.
hey John ...thanks man. I'm delighted you think so. Actually, this was only one of maybe three or four ideas I have. And suffice to say...their NEVER done completely. :rolleyes: Not enough time anymore. Crap, I don't even have time to work on mine the way I'd like to. Maybe if I didn't spend the time on other peoples I'd have more time for mine.:D But...this is fun too!:p

Say John..could you run your calculator and see what dim's come the closest to those in the pic. I don't have Excel. I'd appreciate it. Thanks
fitZ

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened. It has never been an issue since I have been here. Hopefully the attachment thing is resolved soon. Once again, sorry for the inconvenience. This is not acceptable in any way.

Fitz, phenomenal!!
And you did that on Sketchup... geez, maybe you need to give me a tutorial on that first, before looking into my studio space. All I can do with it is blocks and door frames...

The wife may have a problem with losing the storage space in the back... BUT, for the time being, the basement may remain with only the outer walls gyproc'ed, and floating floor. As a result of this, there won't be a lounge that she plans on using. This is a good thing, because it means I can use the "lounge" area as storage, temporarily. Which means I can set it up like you have it drawn up. I maybe have to set up a "temporary wall" between the live and control rooms. But once this set up is accepted as a fact, it means it's less likely that there'd be a lounge in the basement. Which means this becomes permanent. It's a tricky play, but I think I can manage it. So the door would have to be on a diagonal? I think there would have to be a door to the live room, only because were we to sell the house down the road, legally, the room needs access to the lounge area to be considered a room. And seeing how my province might be seceding from Canada within 3-4 years, we might move out sooner than later.

But this looks great. So I could line up the bathroom and storage on the lower right wall then?

Thanks again for everything!

And you did that on Sketchup... geez, maybe you need to give me a tutorial on that first, before looking into my studio space.

Well, I already did it. I like to have fun with HomeStudio design:D

Design 1 Overall.jpg
Finished CR Front Closeup.jpg
Finished CR Rear Closeup.jpg
Live Room.jpg

:D

And btw, yea, I can tutor you. I can send you the file too.

One other thing. These are simply "design" concepts. Once you confirm certain decisions, we can start "detailing"
the construction. Lot's and lot's of decisions to make though.

Must be nice to have the flexibilty to consider all these things...I'm on the verge of selling my home and looking for a new place that includes space for my varied hobbies. We are in no position for new construction. I'm swaying my partner towards an unfinished basement so I have more flexiblity to finish it my way.

Back