Only in a HOME studio...protecting your studio from children

TheSpanningTree

So I just made an investment and bought some rather large 8" monitors. My 3 year just loves them! "they are super rockin' daddy!" she says as her cookie covered hands are on a collison course with the monitor's cone :eek:. I saved the day with my super fast dad reflexes, but it worries me that she'll go in there while I'm at work and try it again. I guess I can get some speaker grills and some adhesive, but IDK, any ideas? Has anyone had the same concerns with kids with other equipment, or child proofing the studio?

As a parent, we teach children not to touch things like stoves and electrical outlets. Take the same attitude with gear.

A locking door doesn't hurt, either...

As a parent, we teach children not to touch things like stoves and electrical outlets. Take the same attitude with gear.

Sure, absolutely, but that doesn't mean they aren't going to push you sometimes.

I can't look the room, because it has other uses.

They're smarter that you think.

By age two, our youngest knew which faders to push on a DM1000 mixer to bring up the sound from my DAW...and how to start the DAW playing.

Zach Mixer 027 s.jpg

Now 7, he thinks nothing of plugging in a mic, patching in some reverb and yelling "get up you lazy bones" at a level loud enough to be heard in the master bedroom.....

(Bonus points for noticing the lava lamps. Alas, they didn't survive the move to Australia.)

Now 7, he thinks nothing of plugging in a mic, patching in some reverb and yelling "get up you lazy bones" at a level loud enough to be heard in the master bedroom.....

(Bonus points for noticing the lava lamps. Alas, they didn't survive the move to Australia.)

haha thats cute.

They're smarter that you think.

By age two, our youngest knew which faders to push on a DM1000 mixer to bring up the sound from my DAW...and how to start the DAW playing.

View attachment 70814

Put that man in the newbies section! ASAP!
He can answer tons of questions
:D

So I just made an investment and bought some rather large 8" monitors. My 3 year just loves them! "they are super rockin' daddy!" she says as her cookie covered hands are on a collison course with the monitor's cone :eek:. I saved the day with my super fast dad reflexes, but it worries me that she'll go in there while I'm at work and try it again. I guess I can get some speaker grills and some adhesive, but IDK, any ideas? Has anyone had the same concerns with kids with other equipment, or child proofing the studio?

1) Lock the door

2) Tell her no

3) Donate her to Goodwill

4) Keep your child outside

That's really all I can come up with right now :D

1) Lock the door

2) Tell her no

3) Donate her to Goodwill

4) Keep your child outside

That's really all I can come up with right now :D

Or 5) Get her to join in. Teach her the ways of the home recording artist. =D Never know, she could get awesome at it, end up getting some fancy real studio job, then looking after you when your bones are slowly turning to dust. ;D

Grill or metal bars or a moat! Apart from training the squid there's not a lot that really will save the day or the gear. You could use a baby gate!

I have some dust cover things I used to have over my speakers (I took them off because I like the looks of them that way).

These can work for 2 purposes for your situation.

(1). They look boring (get grey or black colored!).
(2). They can prevent damage to the speaker tweeter and cone. Make sure you get a nice solid, tight cloth (or something else) one.

See if that works! :D
(Hey, it worked for when I was 8 yrs old!)

ive just accepted defeat... might as well get my boy into it early...

minidj.jpg

but seriously.. lock the door and just occasionally take them in to your studio sometime - supervised. it quenches their curiosity and makes them understand its "daddy's room". well that, kinda worked for me.

Back