Oddly Shaped Open Room and NO money.

Symph

Ok every time I hear about acoustic treatment I just tune it out because I think "My room is not enclosed, it's shaped really oddly, and I have literally no money to spend on acoustic treatment" and I just move on. And when I say no money I mean it, my wife and I have been surviving on homemade bread and eggs for a while, (not upset about it, it's a complicated situation, not trying to get anyone's sympathy) but I'm just wondering if there is a way to at least IMPROVE the acoustics of my room with things I'd find around the house. We've got pillows, blankets, a sofa, a recliner, (both plush and soft) And I could afford to spend like.... 20 bucks if there was something else helpful to use. I have faith my situation will change, but making music is one of the ways I'm trying to make up my income, so it would be nice to be able to do SOMETHING I guess.

My apartment has 3 rooms, living room/kitchen in one, bathroom, and bedroom, that's it. The bedroom is a no go cause that's where ALL our stuff is, so the big open living room/kitchen area is where I record. Floors are carpet, ceiling is plaster. I'm not too worried about the sound when I record, I only mic my guitars anyway, but I keep hearing that without good acoustics it's hard to tell what's going on in your mix, and that may very well be harming my final product. I also feel like my vocals are always sharp and thin, which I'm gonna guess could also be helped through acoustics.

We DO have a little pantry area I have considered singing in, it would be cramped and weird cause I'd be singing next to vegetable cans, I'm also not sure where I'm the loudest to my neighbors. I really don't expect to be able to do much of anything, but let's say I tried to ghetto rig something with pillows, or hang blankets, would that have any affect at all? The pantry doesn't even have a door so it'd still be wide open.... I'm just wondering if there is a really cheap ass way to even get some slightly better acoustics, or if it's even necessary. I mean I've come this far without it, and I do hear mix improvements, I just wonder if I'm fighting an uphill battle without the acoustic treatment, and if moving furniture around or trying to velcro pillows to a wall would be worth tackling lol I've actually been trying to think of how I'd even GET pillows to stick to a wall and velcro is all I could come up with... doesn't sound very plausible in and of itself....

I could post pics if that would help, "it's a lost cause" is an acceptable answer too, since it's what I've always figured anyway lol

Regarding your vocals - 'sharp and thin' is not likely to be helped by real acoustic treatment, but positioning of the mic may help. Get near one wall/corner and face out into the longest dimension of the room. Hang a blanket or comforter on the wall behind you.
For mixing - if the room is truly 'bad' for acoustics - no treatment, unsymmetrical, etc, then mixing with headphones, then checking on other systems (other places) may be the answer at this point.
If you are barely eating, it's no time to spend money on makeshift acoustic treatment. Consider this time a chance for solid songwriting - work on the songs themselves (not recording them, except scratch versions).

It is never a lost cause. Do every thing mentioned above and you will notice a great difference. Try to record in a room that has hard floors, no carpet. Carpet sucks out certain freqs and leaves you with an UN-natural recording. Get up close and personal with your mic. This will help when you need to use a plugin to remove the room flutter.

I just tested 8 mics last week in a UN treated room I am setting up for recording ACX and instrumental work. I used a $10.00 fleece jacket draped over my head for room treatment. You can listen to them here. Make sure you wear headphones when listening. Hanging blankets on the wall is a very cheap way to get a better sounding room. Place the home made sound shield as shown below in front of you as you are facing the other corner and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Walk in closets are great for recording as well compared to an open room.

Carpet sucking pic.

View attachment 100474

$20.00 sound shield. (4) 1 inch elbows. (4) 1 inch "Tees". (3) 1 inch x 10 foot PVC pipe sticks. No glue or PVC cleaner is needed.

View attachment 100475

Regarding your vocals - 'sharp and thin' is not likely to be helped by real acoustic treatment, but positioning of the mic may help. Get near one wall/corner and face out into the longest dimension of the room. Hang a blanket or comforter on the wall behind you.
For mixing - if the room is truly 'bad' for acoustics - no treatment, unsymmetrical, etc, then mixing with headphones, then checking on other systems (other places) may be the answer at this point.
If you are barely eating, it's no time to spend money on makeshift acoustic treatment. Consider this time a chance for solid songwriting - work on the songs themselves (not recording them, except scratch versions).

Very good and grounded advice, and basically what I'm already doing. The mic position tips may help, and doing the "headphone to speakers" thing is exactly what I do, listening not only on my speakers and headphones but adding laptop speakers as well. Cool cool, I'll let you guys know when I have cash to spend on some treatment haha

Shelves of books, furniture etc all help with a room. Making sure that you're not getting reflections from in front of you, (behind the mic), or behind you, (in front of the mic), will help with your vocal recording.

Back