Odd shaped home studio

djr1

Hi,

I've moved house fairly recently, and am now lucky enough to have a room that will be used solely for a home studio.

The problem is, it's an odd shape. It's roughly 14 feet by 9 feet, and has a sloping ceiling running along the length of the room, one of the corners cut off, and also a dormer window in the sloping ceiling.

My initial thought was that it was best to set monitors up firing down the length of the room, but I'm wondering if the slope of the ceiling might be more important.

Before I start thinking about acoustic treatment, I wondered if anyone might have any ideas as to how best to make the use of the space?

Here are two photos, taken from each end of the room as it is currently.

Any help massively appreciated!

IMG_20160501_210938 (1).jpgIMG_20160501_210929.jpg

It doesn't look like you really have any other option but to set up as you have.

Get some bass traps in the corners and cover the areas of first reflection and see how your mixes come out.

I like the room to be honest - it appears to have a proper door (as opposed to a hole in the floor and a ladder) so you're one up on me!

Don't worry about other's opinions you may get too much.

Be thankful. You got your own dedicated studio room. :D

Your current set up looks fine. Treat as best you can, learn the room, and get to work.
:D

Once you learn it, and the idiosyncrasies of the space, I'm sure you'll get results you're pleased with.
:thumbs up:

Brilliant, thanks! I'll press on as it is, good to know that there isn't another obvious way to set up. I'll get some bass traps and then deal with reflections as best I can!

Brilliant, thanks! I'll press on as it is, good to know that there isn't another obvious way to set up. I'll get some bass traps and then deal with reflections as best I can!
I think that's a good idea - to be honest I don't think you'll have to do too much in order to get good results. You don't want a dead room - just one that's controlled.
Enjoy it.

I'm still envious of your door...

Nice to have a dedicated room - mine also serves as the room between kitchen, living room and downstairs bathroom, and has a big dining hutch in it.

I agree that your current desk location is probably best. Trap all the corners on that front wall (maybe just rockwool it top to bottom, side-to-side?)

You've got a room... that's a great start.

Mine is the living room, my "workstation" computer is connected to the TV.

Back