Noob Seeks Rehearsal Room Acoustic Treatment Help

bradesp

Guys,

First time posting... reading tons of links and recommendations, but they're all generic... Wondering if you guys can help me with my specific room constraints.

I've attached a picture showing my band's rehearsal / recording room layout. I have some options on speaker placement as well as drum kit. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on the amount of absorption panels and placement i should consider (walls, cloud, etc.) as well as bass traps.

Here's what I'm thinking;
1-bass traps in all four corners (although one of my corners is "odd"... you'll see it in the picutre)
2-cloud above drum kit
3-wall panels on side 5' walls
4-do I need any panels on the angled ceiling sections?

Thanks in advance!
Murphy Music Studio Layout-page-001.jpgMurphy Music Studio Layout-page-002.jpgMurphy Music Studio Layout-page-003.jpgMurphy Music Studio Layout-page-004.jpgMurphy Music Studio Layout-page-005.jpg

---------- Update ----------

Here are 3 more pics to illustrate the room layout.

Attachments

• Murphy Music Studio Layout-page-008.jpg
    Murphy Music Studio Layout-page-008.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Murphy Music Studio Layout-page-007.jpg
    Murphy Music Studio Layout-page-007.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Murphy Music Studio Layout-page-006.jpg
    Murphy Music Studio Layout-page-006.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 51
Are you planning on recording in the room, or is this just for rehearsals? Big difference. For rehearsing, bass trapping is a lot less important than not getting things too harsh and ugly from slapback echo.

I'd put the drums right in the middle of the 17' wall - higher ceiling and symmetry means the cymbals will not be out of whack. A 2" thick rockwool ceiling cloud suspended above the kit will tame those reflections. Putting the drummer in any of the selected corners means he's going ot be hitting his head every time he gets up from the kit.
Amps (and a few chairs!) on the knee walls facing into the room - so eveyone can hear each other and you're using space where people can't stand upright.
Sub doesn't really matter on position, but I'd keep it near one of the PA speakers - no sense in running it way off in a far corner where it'll have to be turned up a little more to be heard on the far side of the room.

Back