Newbie wants to build sound-proof drum room :)

slim123

Hi guys I am planning on building myself some kind of shed/workshop in my back garden for two reasons. To store some gym equipment but more importantly somewhere to play my drums without annoying anyone :D. I have already decided to use bricks for security reasons and have researched the basic building regs for outside buildings etc. The Main building will be roughly 12ft x 12ft and within that a 6ft x 6ft drum room. I am now in the process of trying to draw plans and get my head around how to construct the building for the best sound reduction. Can anyone offer advice on wall building/layering of materials etc? Also any info on ideal shapes of the inner room or any other necessary info I may find useful before i start building :) I do have a budget and can't afford top quality materials (girlfriend would kill me if i spend a fortune lol). I have several things in mind already such as building the inner drum room a few inches away from the first wall and insulating with either thick polystyrene(dont know if its any good) or expanding foam and also raising the floor of the 6ft x 6ft room 6 inches of the ground.. I have researched into this a tiny bit but would like the opinion of people who know more about this kind of thing.

P.S just drew a rough plan in paint to show how you how i was going to layer the walls... Please say if its a bad idea or not and give any better suggestions if poss.

Thanks in advance!

sLiM :D

i would look into using isolation clips to attach the drywall to the studs then put a second layer of drywall up with green glue inbetween. The use sound proof caulk to fill in the joints.
Hope this helps.

Thanks kjv :) Also need help on planning the floor i.e what materials etc are available if anyone can help :) Thanks again!

Last edited:
Styrene foam is great insulation against temperature but not good insulation against sound. You sure a 6X6 room is going to be big enough for a drum room? That seems a bit cramped even for a practice room to me.

To get "soundproof" in my space I would have had to build a room inside of a room leaving at least a foot of dead air space between the too rooms. But this would have significantly cut down on my finished room size. Instead I did some mild decoupling and double layer drywall during the construction phase.

There are many construction techniques and ways to approach building a drum room, and I certainly don't know them all. I was lucky...I had a bunch of materials left over from job sites that I worked at over the years, My free materials kind of dictated which approach I took. Currently I am working on acoustic treatment.

My "Studio build" album.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/album.php?albumid=78
If this link doesn't work, visit my profile and view it from there.

Hope this helps somehow, and good luck.
Scott.

Back