New studio space, acoustic treatment, what to do?

stonecherry

Hey, I was just wondering if I could have some hints / tips / ideas / theories!

We’re in the process of moving our studio from my parents house, where we had a 4m x 5m room, to a studio which has a control room about 10m x 3m, and an even bigger studio space. Now, I've heard that if you have a rectangle shaped room, you should set up your monitors longways so the lower frequencies don't slap straight back off the wall. Asthetically, I'd love to be set up looking out the window into the studio, but that would put me going the other way.

I know bass does nasty things in corners, and we're going to have to deaden things a lot, any tips or pointers?

The floor in the control room is raised about 50 cm from the concrete floor, not sure it that would affect the sound at all. At the moment I've just got a pair of KRK Rockit 5 monitors, and I guess I'll need something a bit bigger than that, so any suggestions?

Thanks

Hey, I was just wondering if I could have some hints / tips / ideas / theories!

We’re in the process of moving our studio from my parents house, where we had a 4m x 5m room, to a studio which has a control room about 10m x 3m, and an even bigger studio space. Now, I've heard that if you have a rectangle shaped room, you should set up your monitors longways so the lower frequencies don't slap straight back off the wall. Asthetically, I'd love to be set up looking out the window into the studio, but that would put me going the other way.

I know bass does nasty things in corners, and we're going to have to deaden things a lot, any tips or pointers?

The floor in the control room is raised about 50 cm from the concrete floor, not sure it that would affect the sound at all. At the moment I've just got a pair of KRK Rockit 5 monitors, and I guess I'll need something a bit bigger than that, so any suggestions?

Thanks

Go here: http://www.johnlsayers.com/

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but 3m x 10m is tough enough to deal with as is. I wouldn't even consider sitting facing the 3m dimension. Where is the window along the 10m length? You might get lucky and have it somewhat visible in a decent seating position off to your side.

Bryan

Yeah, kinda thought as much! Look, it's probably closer to 8mx3m, and the window's are fairly central along one of the 8m walls. We've still gotta move a whole heap of junk outta the room, so it's hard to quite get an idea of how it's gonna be. I've got some krk rockit 5 powered monitors, but am assuming an upgrade would be helpful. I have a yamaha amplifier, don't have the exact details off the top of my bonce, are there any specific speakers that do or don't go with certain amplifiers? I know i'll need some bass traps and i'm looking at the best way of doing that at the moment, what other things should i be wary of / looking to improve? This part of the deal's all fairly new to me, and it's a pretty steep learning curve!

Yeah, kinda thought as much! Look, it's probably closer to 8mx3m, and the window's are fairly central along one of the 8m walls. We've still gotta move a whole heap of junk outta the room, so it's hard to quite get an idea of how it's gonna be. I've got some krk rockit 5 powered monitors, but am assuming an upgrade would be helpful. I have a yamaha amplifier, don't have the exact details off the top of my bonce, are there any specific speakers that do or don't go with certain amplifiers? I know i'll need some bass traps and i'm looking at the best way of doing that at the moment, what other things should i be wary of / looking to improve? This part of the deal's all fairly new to me, and it's a pretty steep learning curve!

I used to have 2 rooms. The control room was about the size you are talking about. Even with all 4 vertical corners floor to ceiling and 2 of the horizontal wall/ceiling corners covered with 4" OC for bass trapping, it was still crappy to mix in. There's just not enough room for treatment. I tried for about 2 years. I just sucked. So, I tore the wall out. Now I have 1 big room and my mixes translate better than ever. Best move I've made yet. Good luck

Yeah, thanks guys. I don't have the liberty to rip down the wall unfortunately, don't own the place. Thanks for sending me to the right places, just a bit of information overload on those sights, but i'll just start sifting my way through it all. It should be an improvement on the bedroom at least! I hope!!!

Back