New Studio Forethought

Turtis21

So I just moved into a new place and am gearing up to put a little studio in my bedroom. It's oddly shaped however and I was looking for some advice.

The Room is 11' 3''x14'5" and has two closets on one end that are both 3'x2'x7'
The Rooms has a drop ceiling, I'm not sure how that affected acoustic properties but the room is pretty dead because of that and also because of the thickish carpeting.

I was thinking of putting the monitors facing the bed 64 inches (38% of the room) away from the wall with the door and closets. I am a little concerned because of the window on one of the long walls and the closets. Not sure if this uneven symmetry will affect my monitoring.

I plan on trapping the corners with some DIY corner fills and putting some DIY broadband traps on the wall to wall corners and early reflection points. I also though of picking up a Diffusion Tile from Real Traps and putting it on the back wall.

About the deadness. The carpeting sucks. I was thinking of just laying wall to wall plywood as A) im on a tight budget and B) I am renting and don't think my landlady would approve of hardwood. I was also thinking of Mabey DIYing a diffusor by bending some plywood. I saw and article by Ethan somewhere where he did this (I think it was Ethan.)

Another problem is I am right on a highway that gets a ton of log truck traffic and my concrete foundation is a continuos branch of the highways concrete, meaning we get some serious rumble every time a log truck goes by. Anyway of making these low freq stay out of my room or am I stuck tracking in the evenings when the trucks are off the road.

Anything else I should be worried about? Am I on the right track? I've been involved in two previous studio projects. One was in a very well treated room but my partner handled all of that before I moved in with the gear. I've always been the one in the group that know the mixing and tracking and mic tech, now I'm going solo and feeling overwhelmed trying to get the room treatment and computer tech down. any comments would be of help I'm sure.

DSC_0189.jpgDSC_0191.jpgDSC_0192.jpgDSC_0193.jpg

Turtis,

I recommend that you move the bed and face the widow that is on the short wall - last photo.

NO. You are not going to get rid of the rumble. - unless you can build a concrete bunker floating on springs. sorry.

My publications page has several articles that you may find helpful as well as the articles on the GIK site and the RealTraps site.

Good Luck!
Cheers,
John

Turtis,

I recommend that you move the bed and face the widow that is on the short wall - last photo.

NO. You are not going to get rid of the rumble. - unless you can build a concrete bunker floating on springs. sorry.

My publications page has several articles that you may find helpful as well as the articles on the GIK site and the RealTraps site.

Good Luck!
Cheers,
John

Thanks for the reply John.
DO you think If I moved the bed to sit against the same wall as the dresser it would be ok? I'm kind worried about how important the symmetry of the room is. Sucky part about that is, my significant other is pretty much dogheadedly opposed to making our bedroom perfectly symmetrical.

Are you going to be recording drums in the studio?

No. I might have a few bands I record, but the church I attend has an excellent drum room, so I will be recording any drums I need to there. I just want to have a room where I can do my mixes and vocals. Maybe Electric and Acoustic guitar when It's just a songwriter and I'll be using groove templates for the drums.

Back