New Studio build with roofing question

DavidLenney

Hi All,

I'm new here and want to ask you a question about my upcoming studio build.
I moved to a new place half a year ago. In my old house I had a small homestudio in my detached garage.
Now I have a big shop attached to the back of my house where I plan to build a studio. I've got it temporarily set up so I can use it to do some recordings and do band rehearsals. I deadened the room by draping lots of curtains and laying all sorts of carpets. This to make it workable.
As you can see in the pictures there is an attick above the studio. I recently redid all the roofing with unilin insulated roof panels.
I intend to break out the attick floor so it becomes one wide open space. I will put up retention walls all around.
I also want to put in an isolation booth for drums (mainly for rehearsals, not for recording) and move the console to a dedicated mixing room in the attic above a room next to the studio, or if I can get the building permission, an extra room to be build adjacent to the studio.

studio01.jpg

studio02.jpg

pictures are composited from 2 shots

My question for now is what can I do to further insulate the roofing panels from the inside and enhance the acoustics from the slanted roof?
I could add an extra layer of rock wool on the inside, but I'm afraid of condensation problems.
I sometimes see wooden slats with spacing on these slanted roofs with rockwool and fabric behind it.
What would be a good solution?
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Len

Attachments

• studio01.jpg
    studio01.jpg
    798.5 KB · Views: 29
Can't tell what the ceiling height is in your downstairs room, but I wouldn't do what you are thinking of. First, I wouldnt' want any other rooms (tracking or control) on a different level (stairs!). I know some guys use cameras and snake all the cables around, and some even use remote computer keyboard & monitor/consoles.
Second, with that peaked roof, you're going to need a sh!load of trapping in any recording room space - at each corner of ceiling-ceiling and ceiling-wall as well as in other spots, assuming you don't rockwool the entire thing. Not sure what the roof panels you mention are, or where you are located, but her eint eh northeast, its generally recommended to have an airgap between exterior sheathing and insulation.

Back