New Home Studio Construction. Seeking any and all advice.

SinepTaf

Hello guys its been a LONG time since I last dropped by. And to be honest I'm rather ashamed of my past recordings I thought sounded good. Anyways onto the new.

I am going to renovate an area downstairs in my basement for a studio. The total size of the room will be 12'x19'. I will break this into two separate rooms. a 12'x12' band room and a 7'x12' control room. The rooms are concrete floor with carpet tiles and a drop ceiling. I plan to gut all existing walls so I can better treat them. So basically this will be a from the ground up build.

I want the best bang for the buck sound-proofing. I plan to mainly soundproof the band room and not so much the control room. I have read and read and read and have come to grasp that soundproof=mass. I had originally planned to insulate the walls with regular pink stuff, then a layer of mass loaded vinyl, and then sheetrock. I just don't think the vinyl offers the best bang for the buck. I read alot here about OC 703. This is where I considered to switch the vinyl out for a layer of 2" OC 703. It also seems that If I layered the 703 with some cloth they would make very nice ceiling tiles.

Any thoughts? Pardon my rambling I'm very excited about finally being able to get the studio off the ground.

you haven't grasped it yet methinks...........

First off - the MLVis a waste of time and money - not anywhere near the mass of drywall - but for much more times the money.

Next - inside of the wall cavity - the only thing that rigid vinyl will gain you is cost - but not isolation - stick with the fluffy stuff.

Cloth wrapped 703 makes a great cloud for room finish - but that doesn't do squat for room isolation.

MASS MASS and more MASS - 5/8" drywall - cheap mass - load up on it -

DECOUPLE your new frames from the existing bilding frame - this will help put a stop to sturctural transmissions .....

BTW - my room is larger than yours and I opted for 1 large combo room - turning that small a room into 2 rooms is only going to give you 2 rooms with more acoustical challenges than the one room ever did?

Rod

Thank you much for your post. Shortly after I posted, upon doing further research on 703 I realized it was not as dense as I had assumed. I assumed more of a wafer texture. I took the term "Rigid fiberglass" at face value.

As to your comment on MLV. Thanks for that too. I was under the impression it was the holy grail of isolation. I will steer clear. And to be honest the thought of $1500+ stuck inside the wall where I would never see it was a tad bothersum.

I think I will stick with pink stuff between the studs and will look to go with 3 layers of 5/8" drywall.

Is the green glue stuff all its cracked up to be? Would it be wise to get some to sandwich between the drywall?

Thanks again for your feedback. It has helped me greatly.

Back