need some help with monitor placement

Erik Le Clerq

Hi ,

Due to circumstances I had to move and need to rebuild my studio in a less favorable room.

I mix and create digital music . I have a recording room elsewhere.

As im used to build in a room with a flat roof I'm cracking my head a bit over the placement of my monitors.

All intenet articles cover rectangular rooms and flat roofs. ( or sloped roofs looking into the longest side of the room)

Also I need to note that it's a rental house in Europe where strict rules state that you can't alter the house.

-the side closet is build in and irremovable.
-there is a velux window in the slope room in the middle of the room.

I have included some drawings of my room.

Can anyone help me?
studioA3d1.JPGstudioA3d2.JPGstudioAfloor.JPG

Wow.

Mid wall, sloped side, Head .38 of the short wall from the long wall. That's what I'd try first.

Keeping in mind that it goes against just about everything I'd try in a normal room (.38 of the long wall from the short wall).

The amount of broadband trapping you're going to need in there will be extraordinary. So much so that it would be spoken "Extra--Ordinary" instead of "extrwordinary" --

Now you might be cracking your head standing up. :D

Wow.

Mid wall, sloped side, Head .38 of the short wall from the long wall. That's what I'd try first.

Keeping in mind that it goes against just about everything I'd try in a normal room (.38 of the long wall from the short wall).

The amount of broadband trapping you're going to need in there will be extraordinary. So much so that it would be spoken "Extra--Ordinary" instead of "extrwordinary" --

Now you might be cracking your head standing up. :D

Thx, for the info. if I face the short wall wouldn't my stereo image be out of balance, the room being taller on one side than the other?

I agree. I'd broadband the whole slanted ceiling/wall, bass trap the heck out of the corners and the short space, and set up facing the knee wall.

Why? More use out of the room and space means more recording time and more creative people in the room working.

If you set up facing the tall long wall, there's be no room for musicians and others to hang out behind you. And against the short wall is going to just cause all kinds of wacky things with your stereo image.

Back