Need some advice on room treatment

sgia

Hi everyone,
need some advice on treating my practice room so recordings can be made. Not making anything to distribute professionally, however would like to be able to do some demos, etc.

I've read about bass traps, laying carpet, etc. but would like to get some opinions on my room particularly.

The shape is an equilateral triangular (almost), dimensions are 5m long x 4m wide with 4m ceiling at the highest point. (16x13x13 ft).

Here's a photo:

FullSizeRender.jpg

I've since put down carpet which made a big difference, but the sound reflections are still all over the place and any recording sounds like sh*t..
I know this isn't a very exact question, but any advice apart from finding a different room?

I've recorded in other places with the same equipment, sometimes on my computer w Focusrite interface, sometimes with a boss console with passable results, and I've got my levels, mic technique, guitar micing, etc. down pretty good. I'm not mixing in this room, only recording, so my DAW and mix/monitoring setup is elsewhere.

Thanks in advance,
SG

If you're not mixing in this room, a ceiling cloud plus a couple of movable gobo bass traps that you can use as barriers to block reflections to the mic when recording there. It'll take some experimentation with placement.

I would recommend you put broad band absorbers all over the place. Make a cloud like the first guy said (looks like you might have some excellent ceiling beams to utilize to hang them). But I would do more than that. I would wedge them into every corner you've got, including where the walls meet the floor (if you can spare the space).

I would be pretty surprised if this didn't help significantly.

I've made a lot of bass traps. I use OC703, make my own wood frames, and wrap the OC703 in burlap.

I would recommend you put broad band absorbers all over the place. Make a cloud like the first guy said (looks like you might have some excellent ceiling beams to utilize to hang them). But I would do more than that. I would wedge them into every corner you've got, including where the walls meet the floor (if you can spare the space).

I would be pretty surprised if this didn't help significantly.

I've made a lot of bass traps. I use OC703, make my own wood frames, and wrap the OC703 in burlap.

I would agree here. The space you have between the floor and walls is a great place for bass traps. Not like you can stand there. Plus it would look cool if done well. :)

Not sure there is a way to tell you how it will sound when done but it will definitely sound better than it does without.

Another thought came to mind, you could incorporate some benches at the floor to angled walls as well as the bass traps to make some use of that space while still improving the sound of the room.

I would definitely hang panels of Rockwool or OC 703 on the angled walls as well as from the beams overhead. Do you own this property? Can you drill some holes in the walls for anchors? Are you handy with some basic building skills?

I would definitely hang panels of Rockwool or OC 703 on the angled walls as well as from the beams overhead. Do you own this property? Can you drill some holes in the walls for anchors? Are you handy with some basic building skills?

Yes, my house, I can do whatever I want. Thanks for the tips. I'll have to build some frames for the rockwool panels to hang from the ceiling, but I think that's fine. I'll give it a go and update when I've got something to show.

Thanks again everyone.

Back